Vaillant Ecotec Pro vs Plus? Or Baxi Platinum/Potterton Gold

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hi there,

Convinced myself I perhaps ought to be looking at a half decent boiler rather than anything screwfix sell (Vokeras etc etc). Still, I'm at the low end of half decent boilers due to budget.

Anybody know the difference between the Vaillant Ecotec Pro and Plus models? On the outside looks just like the Pro has more fancy controls, but what about internally? They say on their site that the Pro has the same build quality as the Plus 'with a more basic specification'. Is that true, and if so why do they only feel they can offer a 1 year warranty?

If you buy a Plus, are you just paying for a nicer LCD and an extra year's warranty, or is it a better boiler?

Was also looking at Baxi Platinum as the 5 year warranty appeals (should I really put warranty length high up as a selection criteria?). Then I read here that the Potterton Gold is exactly the same boiler, but cheaper with 'only' a 3 year warranty. The Potterton is about the same price as the Vaillant Pro, so I could afford that (and has those Which awards, for what they're worth!). Is there anything about the Vaillant quality-wise that makes it still a better bet than the Baxi Platinum/Potterton Gold and worth accepting the 1 year only warranty for?

Cheers for your time,

Liam

Sponsored Links
The plus has slightly higher HW output a twin speed pump and as you say an extra years warranty.

The pro was brought in as an inroad into the new build market and not for the refurb market.

I would stick to the Ecotec Plus.

The Baxi paltinum is eaxactly the same boiler as the Duo-Tec but you are paying the difference in price for the extra warranty.

It is just a numbers game for Baxi.

you can get a 3 year warranty on the pro or plus from VHS Direct. Seems like a decent deal. Had no problems with the pro's, would happily recommend it. Have been avoiding baxi/pot for a while now, impressed with their reps at recent show but boiler is still a box of borrowed bits. Made purely with cost in mind IMO.

Agree with above, Vaillant are far better quality and worth the extra cash.

Sponsored Links
I understand that the Plus also has a DHW cold water inlet temp sensor which helps contribute towards a more even DHW temperature (Closer control)

I understand that the Plus also has a DHW cold water inlet temp sensor which helps contribute towards a more even DHW temperature (Closer control)

It has a plate h/exch ntc and dhw outlet ntc but no inlet ntc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back