1987 Ideal WLx, maintenance contract?

The heat exchanger is a concern, is it possible to stitch repair a cast iron heat exchanger?

Yes it is, I carry all the equipment to weld your HE on the van but hopefully it won't crack in the next few weeks as I'm a little tied up fixing a boiler in Japan... Apparently the numpties ran it short of water

strangely i do have the equipment to weld it but wouldn't bother as it never lasts particularly long and it's simply not worth the risk on a water carrying vessel.

Sponsored Links
OP: here's an idea, why not google EVERY service contract supplier. Download their contracts, and peruse carefully. Re-write the clauses (sorry, weasel words) that offend you, and see if the contract provider would be prepared to take on your old boiler, all for something between £100 and £300 pr year including an annual service / inspection. I am sure they will be clamouring to get your business, as they know for sure that you won't be a pain in the arse.

Since the boiler has worked OK for the last 20 years I wonder why you seem to expect its going to crack in the next 10 years?

As I said I only encounter them every few years so the chance of yours cracking in the next 10 years is probably one on 10,000 !

You seem to be making a lot of fuss about a boiler which would only cost about £1600 to replace and would probably save you about £300 every year in fuel costs! Thats about 19% return on the capital cost and must be more than you are getting on your millions in your santander account.

Tony

OP: here's an idea, why not google EVERY service contract supplier. Download their contracts, and peruse carefully. Re-write the clauses (sorry, weasel words) that offend you, and see if the contract provider would be prepared to take on your old boiler, all for something between £100 and £300 pr year including an annual service / inspection. I am sure they will be clamouring to get your business, as they know for sure that you won't be a pain in the a**e.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Maybe OP should try www.tightwad.com

This would suit quite few who come on here
http://www.tightwad.com/tips8.htm

Sponsored Links
Since the boiler has worked OK for the last 20 years I wonder why you seem to expect its going to crack in the next 10 years?

As I said I only encounter them every few years so the chance of yours cracking in the next 10 years is probably one on 10,000 !

You seem to be making a lot of fuss about a boiler which would only cost about £1600 to replace and would probably save you about £300 every year in fuel costs! Thats about 19% return on the capital cost and must be more than you are getting on your millions in your santander account.

Tony

"the cost of doing nothing"

word

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back