ideal icos he18 LF error / warmsure - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now resolved - updates in last post

just under 4-5 years ago elderly parents had a ICO HE18 boiler installed under the coldbusters grant scheme.

Last year it started playing up with occasional LF error code. Mum didn't want to sign to BG cover so called out an independent person. He serviced it , was probably alright for few days, went wrong again. In all he made 3-4 visits and charged twice (about £70 ) each time I think.
But error still persisted.

After that they seemed to get on by just having central heating on for couple hours at a time. No real problems during summer when just hot water required.

After having no luck with independent person they decided to call IDEAL. Ideal said they don't carry one-off repairs only a £299 contract with warmsure for a year. This was for boiler only. As parents now getting desperate they took this option. I was cross when I heard that as similar price from BG would have covered whole system and pipes etc.

Anyway Warmsure arrived, fitted new electrode. Problem still occurs.
2nd warmsure visit - replaces board. Problem still occurs.

3rd warmsure visit - asks for jug of water and reckon there is a blockage/build up. Put a small hole in pipe and says that they need to make a 'part'(I can't remember the name) to put in pipe to keep flow going- this will be a few days. Boiler was ok for a day or two - now happening every day.

Week goes by not heard from them. Ring them up and they say we are not covered for this and would need an independent to do it. They are writing a letter.

At no time did Warmsure leave a note of work carried out.

This boiler is situated in an outhouse with pipes taking a route that goes outside around the bottom of the house. I think latest engineer reckoned they would not have done it that way. Maybe angle of pipes wrong ?

Reading on here i'm assuming they were referring to condensate trap being blocked, but they never used those words.

Now my parents don't know who to call. Awaiting letter to see if it details what needs to be done.

Boiler in a really inconvenient place to reset - need to go out in dark and down step to rest. Both parents not very stable on feet so I need this fixed urgently.

Advice please , and thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Depends how it has been serviced.

The most common cause of this is a blocked condensate trap/sump due to lack of proper servicing.

These boilers really must be serviced annually.

Other cause could be spark electrode, flame detection electrode, but all these should have been checked if a proper service had been carried out.

Another wee check is to pull the blue tube off gas valve and look for any water. If there have been water or condense issues that have went into combustion chamber then they can travel down the compensating tube into the gas valve governor causing it to go out od calibration usually on low fire after about 30 mins op!

Still never heard from Warmsure - i.e letter stating what they thought needed to be done and not covered by contract.

Am putting in complaint to them anyway about documentation/communication.

Meanwhile I need to progress getting it fixed.

I spoke to them on phone to ask what last engineer wrote - 'condense line blocked, line to be altered, materials to be collected from Plumbcenter. How much would I expect to pay a plumber for this ?
They also said ignitor was changed on first visit -is that spark electrode ?

I'm not 100% convinced it will fix it but got to be worth a shot.

Also - given that these Ideal boilers seem to suffer from these problems ( from googling) do you think it was 'morally right' for Warmsure to take on this contract knowing the fault may lie outside of boiler itself (contract cover).

Sponsored Links
TBH the report said condense line blocked. That is not the boiler but the pipe from it to your waste or your waste blocked!
Had one the other day installer had been out and said it ws the boiler (LF fault) as I was taking the case of to inspect it I noticed soapy water coming up sink next to boiler as washing machine was draining!!!
If it was the boiler it would be S trap blocked or sump blocked.
Dont put garbage doon the sink. It tends to block up.
Also check condense pipe (white plastic one ) has a good run away from boiler as it relies on gravity for condense to run off.

Also had one like this. I changed condense pipe under the floor to 1 1/2" and no more problems.

Ok thanks. I'll see what I can see tomorrow. Approx how much to alter condense pipe ?

Mum never puts waste down sink.

Impossible to say without seeing the installation. Mine was relatively easy, upstairs with the joists running with me so I could pass it through from outside straight to underneath the boiler.

one more question - if this condense pipe is the problem would it have taken 3.5 years to manifest itself ?

it could have taken that long to show up. You could take sump cover off. Three screws. Then pour water down a couple of litres to see if it runs off freelly.

I'm female and don't really like touching thing like this.

Not sure I will recognise sump cover etc, but will take a look today and am also taking digi camera with me.

Thanks for advice.

Mine, apparently, was caused by the original condensate/overflow pipe 'sagging' and causing an air lock. I still dis-believe this though, but swapped it to 1 1/2" anyway. The Ideal engineer in attendance 'quietly' removed a large lump of sediment from the condensate trap, but I was watching carefully.

(This was one that I had installed, but the servicing was taken on by Ideal after the customer had had so many breakdowns that they bought the extended warranty/service plan)

Problem still not fixed. Had larger condense pipe installed to a new location.

Ideal have given up, claiming 3 engineers said there was an installation problem.

Having called the 'experts' i.e manufacturer, I'm not sure who to call now. I guess you guys don't recommend BG but I don't want to call someone who just changes one part after another.

On a plus note the heating came on automatically during night ( when timer not on) - presumably this is to stop it freezing.

Where are you?

The cheapest answer is to call BG out.

Second would be to call Ideal and ask for a recommended engineer in your area.

Sadly Ideal are all to quick to blame the installation. It appears to be their most common easy get out :rolleyes:

Gas4you is definitely correct in the last sentence. I've been called back to several jobs to put right supposed installation faults on warmfront jobs. All of them were down to component failure and the engineer couldn't be bothered to put them right even though warmsure are supposed to cover them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back