Warmsure Again!!

Im covered by my bank, for no extra charge...
Banks are the ultimate money making machines, and the only reason they would give something "for free" is because they want you to keep paying way over the top for one of their other services.

Sponsored Links
he is under barclaycard
for around 15 quid a month he gets all kinds of benefits including boiler repair
first engineer who went to his address was probably a sub contractor how he can fit a wiring harness and not remove the combustion cover is beyond me
second one was probably a service engineer,
third one ashley his name is he has turrets and is a very nice person and is capable at doing his job
this whole incident makes decent engineers look silly because warmsure use sub contractors as out of hours instead of their own engineers.
as the sub contractors are paid hours and not completed workload it doesnt matter to them wether they fix it or not

ideal will fix this for around £250.00

arnt these companies supposed to employ competent engineers?

Frank.

your capital point highlighted in bold and underlined here

As promised we received a call on the 14th that the engineer was on his way, I made my way home from work to let the engineer in, and was feeling quite optimistic of it being resolved. A knock on the door, I let the engineer in and suddenly thought what the hell, The lead engineer has I thought was aged around the mid twenties and it was quite clear there was something wrong, He was making hand gestures, shouting and sudden body movements. He then went onto explain he suffered from torretts, Now that was not a big problem for me, although I didn’t know what to make of it, but it could have been quite unnerving for a lone female. He then informed me that a second person was on their way and in the meantime started to strip down the boiler.

First of all i know a handful of 20 something year old engineers that hold more technical knowledge than most 30 to 50 plussers would imagine is available.

it was quite clear there was something wrong, He was making hand gestures, shouting and sudden body movements. He then went onto explain he suffered from torretts, Now that was not a big problem for me, although I didn’t know what to make of it, but it could have been quite unnerving for a lone female.

Yeah your an arrogant ignorant ostentatious ncut! why even bring this up

Evening!

Point I was making (note Micky) in my first post is that personal recommendation, although better than a poke in the eye, isn't a good commercial business proposition because the people doing the recommending couldn't pick out a boiler in an identity parade, so what I was suggesting (because I'm not in the business, but have been fleeced by independents, so the argument that they're all cuddly and decent blokes is seriously flawed) is that you as trades people may need to make bigger, more positive steps to counter the likes of BG rather than sniping at the guy who has a BG contract because he knows no better. Don't know what these steps are, or which would be the most productive. That is for you to exploit and work out.

Nowt against Micky or any of the guys feeling defensive over their business.

Love to all....

Sponsored Links
Addition: 'BG contract' meaning 'BG-type' contract (as defined by you) in case people are going all 'quotey' 'n' stuff and moggridgeplumbing you're missing my point by a mile. Geezer thought he was doing the right thing, had problems, and subsequently DID come on the forum for advice and got abuse! So suggesting he comes to the forum for advice is, er, well, you know...

P10 if you want to add to something you have just said then you can use the edit button!

A customer would expect that an engineer attending is going to be competent. For the cost reasons we have explained thats less likely to have happened.

This "turrets" is actually Tourette's syndrome! The good thing is that it does not affect intelligence so would not prevent him being a good engineer. But it does look decidedly odd and in the worst cases can cause them to utter swear and rude words spontaneously.

Its good that he explained his situation. I am all for anyone with problems working normnally as far as possible but if he was very bad a previous advice from the company when making the appointment might have been better.

I dont like to see anyone say they have been ripped off and would usually ask how that occurred and ideally identify who did it.

Tony

Hi Tony

Aware of the edit button but people who have read the post, pre-edit, wouldn't re-read it, huh? Hence follow-up post.

I agree that anyone expecting an engineer who attended would expect a competent person but a) the end user doesn't know 'competent' from someone with a good aftershave, so their judgement is largely irrelevant. They may, for example, moan to a neighbour that you were late attending, completely disregarding you rebuilt the burner - for free. A boiler may just work fine because it's a good boiler and have nowt to do with engineer bod and thousands of other reasons... and b) by suggesting that a 'low' price incurs a neanderthall is also (kind of) suggesting that a dearer price attracts a competent. And that's not true! One similarly priced independent may be crap, the other a diamond.

There is a point where personal recommendation will elevate your business but it isn't the be all and end all of gauging an engineer's suitability - if only because non engineers will judge you more on your looks than your actions - because they don't see or understand your actions.

I'm making these observations simply as an outsider looking in and I'm not trying to be confrontational. I have nothing to gain by this.

I will stand aside from this debate.

Night

Point I was making (note Micky) in my first post is that personal recommendation, although better than a poke in the eye, isn't a good commercial business proposition because the people doing the recommending couldn't pick out a boiler in an identity parade

yes your correct to a point. If little Doris says Bob the Builder is a nice chap, one should show caution. But if several people on a local forum all praise one particular person and recommend them, then people have much more confidence in their abilities. In any case many people are much more trusting of their friends and families recommendations, and whilst they can at times be misguided, 95% of the time the recommendation is worthy and as I mentioned, when the recommendation is 6 or 7 strong its usually genuine.
I find it odd that you think I need to find a way to combat BG etc.. when I'm doing perfectly well from these recommendations you find so unreliable. Your obviously a very untrusting person. Lucky for me my customers dont share your attitude.

Strewth, give it a rest. A lot of these people aren't on the forum! If they were, they wouldn't be signing up with BG!

I don't think YOU need to counter the likes of BG. I think your trade, ie independents does. It seems more productive than just getting snotty when someone asks for advice on the forum. But I couldn't care less either way.

Ooops, said I was out of this debate. Defo gone now. Cue Mick may some sarky comment. Ha ha...

Strewth, give it a rest. A lot of these people aren't on the forum! If they were, they wouldn't be signing up with BG!

I don't think YOU need to counter the likes of BG. I think your trade, ie independents does. It seems more productive than just getting snotty when someone asks for advice on the forum. But I couldn't care less either way.

Ooops, said I was out of this debate. Defo gone now. Cue Mick may some sarky comment. Ha ha...

I'm not actually sure what point your trying to make here. Alot of people are not on alot of forums, and what? whats the relevance of this gem of information?
People will always go to the likes of BG for service contracts, people like insurance, its the world we live in now. People can't save money, so pay over the odds for a poor service, Its become a national sport. But, as I've pointed out before, there's plenty of consumers out there still who know the value of good local trades and benefit from them, and save money by using them. Every so often I will have a bit of fun by reminding someone who's been done over by an insurance policy that they've been done, and it didnt have to be this way ! Maybe eventually they'll covert over from the dark side. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back