HE30 ISAR DHW temp fluctuations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, before I start I've read a vast amount of posts about this boiler now and realise it's problematic to say the least. We had ours fitted 2008 by warmsure. Shortly after we had a problem and the orange board was replaced, this also turned out to be faulty and was changed again within a week. We took out a policy with home serve to cover it and have had an engineer out at least once a yr plus yearly service. This year already we've had an engineer out about 4 or 5 times with a recurring problem; loosing pressure, boiler cutting out, shower alternating between cold and warm. Parts were replaced each visit plus had to pay engineer £40 for inhibitor in May as he drained system! Next I discovered a leak which was blamed on a loose nut, after he left found another leak engineer said it was a hairline crack. Original engineer was sent, said he couldn't see crack but changed the part anyway plus performed a service and refused to refill inhibitor free of charge after he drained system again. That was last week and couple days later shower is still going cold and then today it showed an error message L E. Is it possible something is being overlooked? I complained to Homeserve, they asked engineers to resolve it, they passed it back to homeserve, any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Yes, it happens on tap, no matter how slow you run it, the water doesn't stay warm for long which is what happened before.

does the boiler stay lit when hot tap demand?
check pipework underneath boiler to the left to see if flow pipe is getting hot

Sponsored Links
It turned cold again today, flashed LE so I turned it off. Put it on a little later, came back on as normal but went off again this evening. Tried turning off again but It now flashes S E when I turn it back on. The only pipe that felt hot was the one with the pressure gauge fitted to it.

I am going to ring homeservre again today. Our policy is with them, they pay the engineer so they should be on top of it. Turned it back on this morning, it started good, displayed 'd' so I turned on bathroom tap which after about 10 secs started to go warm then cooler, left it running to check display, which is only on the landing, and already it was showing an error message, L9, the same pipe underneath, back left, was scolding, pressed reset and got O first then SE. The last new part fitted was a diverter maniflod. In your professional opinion is there anything being overlooked? I really appreciate your help on this, I know absolutely nothing about boilers etc so feel completely at a disadvantage when dealing with home serve/engineer when they say it "should be working fine now'!!

never seen se faultcode
you may have a leak that has got inside control panel
engineer needs to check boiler correctly
check pump, aav and dry fire for leaks,do you have a bypass,are all rads trv'd
check overheat stat also
if diverter has been changed you may have a blocked plate but he should check this as well as the dhw thermister
ask for a ideal engineer when you phone homeserve instead of one of their engineers if thats possible

I coup be mistaken about "S' it could also read as a '5'. All rads bar the bathroom are trv'd. Partner put CH on today to check it, came on but not all rads went hot, had to release rev pin in 2 of them another only heated at the bottom. Tried dhw and it all shut down again
Have spoken with homeserve who are requesting senior engineer to come out this time. Also emailed Ideal who said it sounds like the plate heat exchanger and they are more than happy to supply tech help if the engineer rings them!
Fingers crossed it will be resolved this time. Will let you know the findings.

Different engineer came out today, went through everything with him that we've been experiencing. He was very helpful, explained everything he was checking and why etc. Long story short, you were right about the thermister, it was reading too high, prob whats causing over heating, also the box attached to the front of the diverter manifold, can't remember it's name now, but it wasn't functioning properly so wasn't pushing in the diverter as it should have been. New parts ordered, so fingers crossed will be working again soon.
Thank you so much for your help and advice.

lets hope he is right
so se was h3?

head on diverter not opening properly?
was there not enough voltage too the head or was it jammed

did he check the overheat stat?

did you not get an ideal engineer as they would had the parts to fix this on there van.

hope it gets fixed

Had a busy few days so didn't get a chance to post a reply. Yes, I think it was jammed. They sent another Npower eng' to give them the opportunity to resolve out. Have been without hot water since then as they had to order part from manufacturer. One of the previous engineers turned up this morning with the part. The first thing he said was 'I Believe you have a new problem'.... Grrrrr!!!!!! No, its bloody on going! Oh, it was a leak last time wasn't it!!! Hmmmm....

Thermister has been changed but he said diverter valve was newly replaced on 28th August! Told him that engineer (last week) found it wasn't functioning properly and that he had to fiddle with it to get it to work! I assumed it was also being replaced. His reply was 'it doesn't matter' (as in to the problem). Needless to say I wasn't impressed and let him know as much, my partner then took over! We have to speak to insurance company about over all handling by Npower. Its fingers crossed it works cause I'm so fed up with boiling the kettle for hot water!!!

New engineer from a new company, went through symptoms, showed him 2 replaced parts that we kept, said one definitely didn't need changed. He phoned Ideal and they confirmed his diagnosis of restriction within the boiler. Home serve were informed and long story short have now offered us a brand new boiler. So glad it's resolved but feel totally exhausted by the whole experience. Thank you for your help and on a final note, if anyone reading this does not have boiler cover, it definitely is worth it in the long run. We could be facing a huge bill right now, new boiler, not to mention parts and labour already accrued!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back