Warmsure Again!!

Sponsored Links
this is just one of 1000s of stories of people dealing with heating insurance companies. I have no sympathy. If you'd employed a competent local independant you wouldnt be dealing with this mess.

Thats a bit harsh. Micky, the client behaved in good faith. He is not to know the vagaries of the system.
well he has a pc and the internet. If you research the pros and cons of insurance policies online you can quickly come to a conclusion after reading all the horror stories, also doesnt take a genius to work out that for an insurance service to be profitable the output of the product has to be substantially lower than the income. ie you get less than you pay. Soon as you start becoming expensive for them, they'll look for ways to get their money back. Some people however will go from one insurance policy to another thinking the next one will be better :rolleyes:

For the insurance company to operate a service profitably they have to take say £200 and spend say £80 on the claims.

They do that by a combination of underpaid, under experienced people working for contractors and using many get out clauses using small print to avoid the most common jobs caused by sludge in the system.

The only people who get good value out of these schemes are those with unreliable boilers like Saunier-Duval, Ideal etc. Their claims are subsidided by those with reliable boilers like Ideal Mexico, Kingfishers etc.

Tony

Sponsored Links
* Car insurance comes to mind. My daughter just passed her test and I got quotes ranging from £1250 to £6500 for a group one car. Which is 'best'? No idea. And I struggled to afford £1250... Geddit?

My point is, if you're the good guy - conscientious and reasonably priced - and other independents, BG and Barclays are the baddies, even if you charge identical amounts, or less, how do you get that message across to the end user? And if you can't get that message across, it's hardly the fault of Joe Soap for going with the likes of these people. He feels, not unreasonably, that he's taken all the responsible safeguards against boiler/heating failure. He's not an engineer. He's not even practical. But he has taken out an insurance. Surely that's good and not to be ridiculed.

If you're the best, convince me (or him).

* Car insurance comes to mind. My daughter just passed her test and I got quotes ranging from £1250 to £6500 for a group one car. Which is 'best'? No idea. And I struggled to afford £1250... Geddit?
yes i "geddit" you have to have car insurance by law so you have no choice. This has nothing to do with the argument.
But he has taken out an insurance. Surely that's good
no not really. thats the point.
If you're the best, convince me (or him).
sorry who said that?

I'm trying to work out what point your trying to make.

(Looking in). Great, so you explained why you were good, or did they naturally, intuitively know? Read my first post if you've lost the plot!

Thanks for all the positive replies guys.

I'm not going to get into any argument about whether to have insurance or not (mickyg)

But its there, and it is supposed to save you money, anyway arnt these companies supposed to employ competent engineers?

Frank.

Im covered by my bank, for no extra charge

but as a heating engineer myself i would diagnose the problem and tell the bloke what was wrong so he can supply the part for nothing :)

this is no help to anyone might i add...

Thanks for all the positive replies guys.

I'm not going to get into any argument about whether to have insurance or not (mickyg)

But its there, and it is supposed to save you money, anyway arnt these companies supposed to employ competent engineers?

Frank.
falls on floor
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back