Central heating making a noise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My heating system is recently making noises, more from the airing cupboard than anywhere else. It seems to be a whistling noise and sounds like it comes from the pump and down the pipes. It is more noticeable when it first fires up in the morning. i have a fuel saver mark 2 boiler which is approx 20 years old, we live in a relativelt soft water area and i have recently drained the system down to replace rads but not added inhibitor afterwards. I have now purchased x100 ready to put in, put need to add a couple of TRV's beforehand. I thinking the system needs either a descale or desludge or both.
any ideas anyone.
thanks in anticipation. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
What speed is your pump set to?

How old is the pump?

How long has it been since you filled up and have not added the inhibitor?

Pump speed, now im not exactly sure but i think its about midway round. I last filled up approx 6 months ago to change a rad then a year before that to change a rad, so no inhibitor for 2 years at most.
im not sure of the age of the pump, weve been in the house 3 years and no change.

Well, despite when you are going to fit your TRVs I would flush out and introduce your inhibitor to the system, and buy some more when you come to change your valves.

You may find this to cure the problem, if not, turn down the speed of the pump and see if it makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
I would advise x400 when flushing out, the noise may be dirt in the bearings of the pump so you want to make sure it gets a good clean.

Feulsaver is a low water content boiler so pump needs to be on top speed .Stick some x200 in system that will get rid of the whistling sound

x200 is just a descaler, do i add that as well as x100 indefinately. What about sludge? the odd time i have removed a radiator to decorate i have washed it through with a hose to find black sludge at the very end of pouring the conetnts of the radiator out. probably only half a mug full of the stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back