Central Heating Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. The noise from my glow worm space saver boiler is driving me mad.

A few mins after coming on a loud droning noise comes from the boiler.

This can be stopped by putting slight pressure on the pump or even lifting the edge of the black electrical connection box on top of the pump but it soon returns.

What is strange is the noise is not from the pump but from the boiler

This unit has been trouble free for more than I care to admit and would praise it total- is it time to change what is otherwise perfect or can it be
fixed.

any suggestions would be most appreciated as still waiting for plumber to call . Paul

Sponsored Links
No one has answered this yet so Ill have a go.
Such noises are often due to worn bearings on a motor. Usually pump and more often fan. The vibration caused by these can sometimes cause other parts of the boiler to resonate.
Whether a thing resonates or not is due to its shape and length and the frequency is the vibration. Try altering the pump speed but this could cause other probs.
Not a lot you can do about it reallyapart from to renew what you may think is the offending article. Sometimes if you find whats resonating you can 'wedge it up' but be careful what you wedge up with and where you wedge so as not to cause a fire or electrical hazard.
A tie wrap and wooden clothes peg around the pump head may do the trick where you were saying about a push on the pump control box casing. A little bit botchy but hey .. If it works!! do it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back