central heating of woodburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To all
I am currently renovating a house.
The central heating system is to be from a gas combi (not mains), quite a simplistic layout 22mm Flow return with 15 mm drops to rads etc...However!!, I really want to install a woodburner and backboiler that will assist with the heating.!!

Does this sound feasible??

as part of flow return pipework from combi i also connect in the woodburner and have a seperate pump. so what i want to achieve is this.

1. can have central heating on by way of combi, with no woodburner lit!!
2. Can have central heating to house by way of lit woodburner with circulation by way of seperate pump

i dont want to use woodburner for hot water, as i have no storage area.
Unless i am wrong there cannot be much that is not ok with this scenario, however i am open to advice. Some of the questions in my own mind is.

1. when using the woodburner with seperate pump, will the circulation free flow past the pump in the combi.
2. Likewise when using combi boiler will the circulation free flow through the seperate pump.
3. Do i need a seperate pump...is it possible to turn the combi pump on without turning the combi heating on.
4. will i lose a lot of heat to the "cold" woodburner exchanger when using the combi for heating.
5. if so could this be gate valve managed(suspect it could but would need to closely managed)
6. Would any of this breach regulations.

Thanks for any advise

Russell

Sponsored Links
You could link the two via a buffer/heatstore.

However, you have already suggested space is very limited.

Using gatevalves to isolate sections could be very dangerous. Many oil combis can be run opn vented making a Durnsley neutraliser feasible - but get manufacturer approval.

If you a going LPG, there are almost no combis that are suited to an open vented layout.

Probably more trouble than it worth. The best way to use log burner is as a simple efficient space heater, andvleave the room doors open. Heating water inside a log burner and taking it to a radiator is the same thing, but less efficient and riddled with issues, tar and heat dumping are just two of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back