Central Heating Pipe Routing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1786.jpeg

I need to extend my central heating from my newly built extension into the old part of my house. On the first floor I need rads in the three bedrooms and in the bathroom, utility and lounge on the ground floor.

Is the below ok as a route? It appears best to me to as the joists run as the lines on the paper.

My flow and return come from the extension are 22mm so should when I tee off should I keep running 22mm and just reduce to rads ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the joists span the whole width as shown and you are wanting to cut notches for pipes, then there are building regulations about where the notches can go and how deep they can be. The middle of a span is not acceptable.

I'd go with 22mm to the first pair of tees on your diagram, then 15mm from there on.

Thanks for the reply I am aware of the regs around notching and drilling but either way I do it the joists will need one or the other. My main concern is around the routing and if I should be at 22 or 15mm.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply I am aware of the regs around notching and drilling but either way I do it the joists will need one or the other. My main concern is around the routing and if I should be at 22 or 15mm.
What he's saying is you can't run them down the middle as pictured.

Edit - To be fair your picture is slightly offset (whether by design or not I don't know). Dimensions would make it clearer.
Drilling is preferable IMO, can get away with a bigger hole for lagging. Won't affect the floorboards when the heatings on either.

Sorry guys I am confused why I can’t run them down the middle? Which ever route I opt for will mean drilling or notching.

The length of the run is about 5m’s and then from each T to rad is approximately 2.5m’s

Sorry guys I am confused why I can’t run them down the middle? Which ever route I opt for will mean drilling or notching.

The length of the run is about 5m’s and then from each T to rad is approximately 2.5m’s
Rules on notching / holes

If doing in copper you will need to do notching

If doing in plastic you can do holes

Personally I wouldn’t use plastic for heating

Allowable-notching.jpg

No reason you can't run copper through holes other than practically. You need access from one end and the holes need to be very straight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back