Central Heating problem. Water but no heat.

esk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. this is my first post and I have a problem with my boiler.

It is gas, made by Vokera and it is model Mynute 28SE.

The problem is that the hot water appears to be function correctly, ie the boiler springs into life when switched on, and I can see the pilot light.

However, when I switch on the heating, nothing. The boiler does nothing. I have a wall thermostat and also one on all bar a couple of the radiators.

I have gone round the house and up'd the temperature on the radiators and also on the wall stat. Still nothing.

I have an engineer coming tomorrow but I hoped someone would be able to have a guess as to what the problem may be.

Sponsored Links
Programmer or three port valve or two port valve?

Tony

Oh bugger I was scared this was going to get technical.

I'm sorry, I don't know what all that means.

How embarassing.

A lot of systems use a 3 port mid position valve. The pump pushes water through this valve and the setting of the valve dictates where the water goes. To the hot water cylinder or to the radiators or if in mid positon then the water is shared.
There are problems with these, the valve does not always move to the heating positon ( motor or microswitch faulty). If the microswitch is not operated then the boiler don't work.
Of course it is dependent on getting a supply of electricity from the room stat, which in turn is dependent on getting a supply from the programmer/time switch.
Some systems use a different method. Instead of one 3 port valve, it has two valves (1 heating and 1 hot water) each of these has a motor and microswitch so the same type of faults apply.
There you see! not too technical.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Having checked the pipework upstairs against the pictures on the 'definitions' page, I'd see we had a two port/zone valve.

The two way valve has gone. There is power to it but its not responding.

Heating is on (used the override lever) now until the valve is replaced.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back