Central heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the cold weather setting in our central heating is being used for the first time in a couple of months, however 4 of the house's 8 radiators aren't heating up. It's a 3 storey house, all 3 rads on the ground floor don't heat up, 1 of the rads in the middle foor doesn't heat up, while all the top floor ones work fine, as do the other 2 in the middle floor.
I think it's the pump, but can't work out how it would be getting heat to the top floor - although I don't know which rads are first in the heating system.
We have an old, non-combi Potterton boiler, gas fired and water for washing gets heated fine!
Any suggestions welcome!

Sponsored Links
hi there, I had the same problem today.
My radiators on the second floor worked fine, nill on the first floor.
So, being a woman, I found the answer in a DIY chat room. A builder in the UK instructed me to first bleed the radiaotors, then I had to fiddle with the pump as it turned out to be jammed, thus not getting water to all the rads. turn the heating and water off,.... If you take the cover off the boiler and locate the pump....then the biggish screw on the pump....remove that scrrew to find a small thing inside there that has a slot for a screwdriver. wiggle it back and forth. replace the big screw. turn heating back on....you might get heat to all of them now....please let me know if this helps.

hi there, I had the same problem today.
My radiators on the second floor worked fine, nill on the first floor.
So, being a woman, I found the answer in a DIY chat room. A builder in the UK instructed me to first bleed the radiaotors, then I had to fiddle with the pump as it turned out to be jammed, thus not getting water to all the rads. turn the heating and water off,.... If you take the cover off the boiler and locate the pump....then the biggish screw on the pump....remove that scrrew to find a small thing inside there that has a slot for a screwdriver. wiggle it back and forth, and turn it a few times. this should get the pump going again. replace the big screw. turn heating back on....you might get heat to all of them now....please let me know if this helps.

Sponsored Links
The problem is our pump is an old model, a Commodore 130, and has no easy access to the impeller. Does anyone know about this pump? Just wondering whether it'd be best to turn off the water to it (through isolation valves) before opening it up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back