Central Heating Pump help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everybody,

Im new to the forum, and not very good at all of this, so be gentle. During the summer my central heating pump kept tripping out the electrics on my 3 bed semi. I had a sparky from a reputable local business come and confirm this. He told me that the pump needed to be replaced, system drained and refilled etc, but it would cost me over £300! Anyway, it now december, and after trying to brave the cold, Ive given in but I still havent fixed the problem. How easy would this be to do myself? Im OK at diy, but this seems like a big job, and I could really do with some help from a bunch of friendly forum users.

I have attached some pictures of my pump etc

GALLERY]

GALLERY]

GALLERY]

GALLERY]

Any help would be great (Im getting cold! )
Joe

Sponsored Links
The system would certainly need draining down, because I would guess that the ball valves on either side of the pump would either not turn off or would leak afterwards if they did......
If you can find another Wilo Gold pump (no idea if they are obsolete or not) you could just replace the centre body rather than the whole thing, if you felt like it.
The extent of the job can often depend on how much movement there is on the pipes once they are disconnected, to allow the old pump to come free - sometimes dead simple, other times a nightmare......its possible to use 'slip' couplings if pipe movement is tight.
You'll need fresh inhibitor when the job is done, and if the system water is dirty it could be worth having a flush done too.
I expect in this weather you would want minimum disruption though!
John :)

Its not viewed as a terribly big job for a heating engineer but it is one that can take quite a long time particularly if anything goes wrong.

For an old system like that there will be further problems with rad valves leaking when its refilled.

The pump and valves all need to be changed.

In theory it could probably be done by freezing the pipes but relying on that upstairs is a bit risky in a customers home. So I would drain the system.

Based on what I can see I would be charging about £200 for a Grundfos pump or a bit less for a cheaper one.

Tony

not a hard job even for a diy'er.. if ya call bg they will prob do it ya for around £199 or £100 if ya sign up for a contract.

where is the pump located? if ya fancy having a go bung it, ya will have it done in a hr ;)

Sponsored Links
Funny I just did this today and am a complete novice. I was not planning to change the valves on either side of the pump but I had to as they were leaking which meant draining the system. You should give it a go it's not to difficult.

Bung tank and vent, new pump and valves, easy peasy for experienced plumber, price depends on pump and any airlocks/blocked cold feed on refill rust inhibitor etcetora etcetora etcetora.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back