central heating pump location?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We currently have a heating cupboard within our ensuite which obviously takes up a fare amount of space. The cupboard houses the hot water cylinder, zone valves and central heating pump.

The house is full two story with loft space.

I am flooring the loft as a den for the kids and worked with my joiner to build a heating cupboard at one end, floor reinforced, cupboard insulated etc all done properly.

We are going to a mains pressure cyclinder which is currently in the new cupboard and are getting ready for the change over from current system to new.

I want to put everything in the new heating cupboard in the loft as per our current ensuite cupboard, so I want the new mains pressure cylinder, zones valves and central heating pump up there.

I have two plumbers doing the job, one oil boiler qualified and the other gas qualified. Gas qualified plumber has suggested not moving the pump and zone valves into the new loft cupboard. Instead he suggets the eaves of the first floor, which is the other side of the partition of the cupboard where they currently are.

I dont want to do this because the eaves are not insulated, obviously hanging posts and ceiling are, but the eaves are roofed by sarking board and is essentially outside. I would then need to build a special box etc to house pump and zone valves in.

The whole point of the heating cupboard was to get everything up out the house to make space and have it all in one area for simplicity. It will also give off some heat for the loft space which is about to be super insulated as per the new heating cupboard.

Gas plumber suggests central heating pump more central in the house will give better heating performance. I understand it may take hot water slightly longer to get to certain rads but once the system is on and at temp does it matter where the pump goes?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The cupboard houses the hot water cylinder, zone valves and hot water pump.

I want the new mains pressure cylinder, zones valves and central heating pump up there.
They're not the same thing! So which is it?

Ive edited it, I meant central heating pump, Grundfos UPS. Thanks

If the pump and valves are placed in the loft, will there be new pipes from the boiler to the loft, or will the existing pipes be extended?

If the pipes are being extended I can see the gas man's point of view: there will be a very long run from the boiler to the loft cupboard, so there will be more heat lost and an increase pressure loss, so the pump may not cope. But if new pipes are run direct from boiler to the loft cupboard that may not apply.

If the pump etc are put in the loft, the pipes for the heating system will have to be extended from the current cupboard up into the loft - more pressure loss.

It all depends on relative locations.

A diagram, showing location of the equipment and measurements, would help.

Sponsored Links
The house is a two story rectangle at one gable end is a lean to washroom on the ground floor where the boiler is located fixed up on the wall.

The new heating cupboard is at the opposite end of the house right against the gable wall in the loft. House is 10 metres long.

At the moment the current heating cupboard is exactly in the middle on the first floor so the pipes would go through it anyway its the shortest path. Draw a line diagnoally between boiler and new cupboard and the existing cupboard is in the middle.

I presume when talking height differences we talk about the flow and return points which exit the boiler?

If so the current boiler is up on the wall so at the moment there is a 9m run of pipe from boiler to existing cupboard with a rise in height of around 1.2 metres.

The new cupboard would increase the pipe lengths another 9m and a further height increase of 2.5 metres.

The pipe flow is reasonably direct but im doubleing the length, tank will therefore be 18 metres of pipe from boiler and then around 3.7 metres higher.

Thanks

have you checked that one of them has the G3 unvented cert ?

The pipe flow is reasonably direct but im doubleing the length, tank will therefore be 18 metres of pipe from boiler and then around 3.7 metres higher.
Is the 18m flow plus return?

What about the 3.7m, is that flow plus return and is it included in the 18m?

What is the kW output of your boiler?

What is the size of the flow and return pipes from the boiler?

Will you be insulating the pipes from boiler to the new cupboard?

How will you link from the new cupboard into the existing radiator circuit? A pair of pipes back to the existing location?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back