Central Heating Pump Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last winter, I replaced our worn-out heating pump, but the downstairs radiators have not been heating up properly ever since.

All was well with the system originally, but now half of the radiators downstairs will only warm up if I turn off two of the bedroom radiators. Once the downstairs radiators are hot, I can turn the upstairs ones back on and they all keep warm. Next day, I have to repeat it all. I have fiddled about with the check valves and bled the system repeatedly, but to no real avail.
When I fitted the pump, I bled all of the radiators and the pump itself and have done so again since.

I have a Potterton 60e heating ten radiators ( four upstairs and six down). The pump is Flowmasta 25-50 130. The boiler is upstairs, as is the pump.

Have I simply fitted a pump that is not adequate for the job?

Regards,

James.

Sponsored Links
James, what was wrong with the old pump, exactly?

How did you select the new pump? Do you recall what sort the old one was?

Has the new pump got several speeds?

C.

The old pump was making a loud din and vibrating. I cannot remember what specification it was, although I think that it was a Grundfos. The new pump has three speed settings, but it makes no difference which I use. I have a nagging suspiscion that the old pump was a 15-60, but I cannot be sure and do not have it any more.

Sponsored Links
10 radiators and a correctly piped system should be ok with a 5 metre head pump providing there are no blockages / restrictions. A Grundfos 15-50 should be perfectly adequate. I've never come across Flowmasta pumps so don't know what they are capable of. I, and most on here would go for a Grundfos every time. However, you must make sure that your system has no restrictions and that involves a fair bit more work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back