Central Heating Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating pump is dead. RIP

I've just purchased a new Wilo 5 metre head pump but am having trouble getting the old pump off the isolating valves.

There's so much scale that's seeped through the fixing it's grown like mould and is an inch high! Would this much scale make it nearly impossible to get the isolating values off the pump or should I just try a lot harder? The valves do shut off ok.

My plumber wants £160 to replace the valves and pump. To replace the pump only is £80. This is labour only as I've already got the pump.

Do I have any options?

Simon.

Sponsored Links
Don't grip the nuts tight they squash. Tap them with a small hammer all round to break the seal. Try heat (blowlamp). Try a hammer and sharp cold chisel to tap thr nuts undone. If it slips file a small groove. If it doesn't work file harder and hit harder. When the nuts split you've won - buy new nuts easily. Otherwise bung the header tank pipes, and remove valves from pipes and replace with new ones ONE AT A TIME (or you'll get wet). Or freeze the pipes, locally or at header tank. So you have many options. Not a good pump you've bought, though it should last a few years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back