Central heating pump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think i have a dodgy installed central heating pump.

I have done various different things and have found the following which i think shows the pump is in the wrong direction.

I drained the system and removed the pump, i used the isolation valves, but when i re filled the system with the pump still out only the bottom valve leaked (valve closest to the boiler). I checked the top isolation valve and it was open, but no water was coming out. So i know i have a dodgy isolation valve, and a very wet kitchen.

I guess this showed the pump was connected to the hot side of the boiler, and from what i've read so far should be pumping away from the boiler.

The old pump was connected so as to pump into the boiler, which i think was wrong.

Sponsored Links
You have nopt proved anything other than you don't care about flooding your property!!

Basically you need to identify if the pupm is on the flow or return which you havn't yet done

If the pump is in the flow pipe it should pump away from the boiler,
if the pump is in the return pipe it should pump toward the boiler

You will need to check visually and unless you have a good knowledge of central heating you may struggle to idnetify this correctly

could be a good time to consult a pro!

P.S. if the pump is circulating the wrong way it would almost certaily be causing big problems with pumping over or sucking in air etc etc! ;)

Ok got all the above.

Should there be water flowing through the return.

As i said there was no water flowing from the return at all into the pump! :!:

Sponsored Links
It's a Potterton Suprima 60.

And it's been in the house at least 7 years, but most probably a lot, lot longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back