Central heating pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating pump has been rattly for a long time now but this morning it gave out a death rattle and died. It is also red hot. It is a grundfos 15-50. I am going to replace it with a wilo yonos as our local screwfix has one in stock. My question is my grundfos has been fitted upside down, presumably so the electric connectors were easier to get at when it was installed. It has been working like this for the last 20 plus years but I need to know should I put the new one in upside down as well? Is my electric connector theory sound or will it have been put in upside down for a reason? The water pipe connections are still vertical so surely the pump will still be spinning the same way whichever way the pump is installed. Your thoughts will be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
You need to keep the flow direction the same . The pump housing can be rotated on the body to put the connectors in the right place.

Thank you. So that is why the old grundfos was put on upside down then as the body and pump house couldn't be rotated?

The motor and rotor in the pump will rotate the same way.

The pump will suck water into one of it's port and push it out from the other port. the direction the water flow through the boiler will depend od which way the ports are connecte to the pipe work.

Sponsored Links
Will there be an arrow or some other mark showing the direction? On the old one and the new one? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick

Stamped onto the casting is a directional arrow. Whatever pump you buy, fit the pump with the arrow going in the same direction. If for whatever reason you need to rotate the motor section, then you can undo the allen bolts to remove the motor from the cast body and rotate to the desired position.

Be careful to do this with the pump dry, do not 'lever' the motor from the casting (you risk snapping the impeller) And tighten up the allen bolts evenly and squarely.

Mick

If you are diy'ing you may find it easier to drain the system to the required level (lower than the pump), then buy a Grundfoss 15-50/60 pump. The castings should be the same, which means you can transfer the motor from the new pump over to the old body just by using the allen bolts. This can be a lot easier than trying to remove the pump valve nuts, which sometimes can involve hammer and small cold chisel, to get them undone. Again if you do this, make sure the old body is clean and DRY before transferring the motor.

Are the old Wilo pumps no good ? The bloke that changed my Grundfos for a Wilo said that a Wilo was better as it was a "tight" (?) pump. Was he talking out of his derriere? Hope someone replies before a mod blocks me as a lot of posts I've contributed to are vanishing.... I'm going to check out the Screwfix site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back