Central Heating Radiator-strange behavior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi Everyone,
need a bit of help with my central heating rad. this rad has been working fine for the past 7 months or so. Garage was converted and 3 additional rads added to the heating system and one of these is playing up now. have all been working fine until now.

Now for the past week, this rad wont work. however if you turn the lock shield valve off and on again, its starts working fine.
The same thing happens with the TRV side- if i turn the TRV side off and on again, it starts working fine. very strange to me.

initially i thought it might be one of the valves but then i also think its very unlikely both the lock shield and TRV valves are both faulty at same time. its also a new install anyway-only about 7 months ago when this was added after the garage conversion.

any ideas please?

thank you and a HNY to everyone

Sponsored Links
Next time it doesn't heat up ,remove the TRV head and check the pin in the middle of the valve body isnt stuck in the down ( closed) position ,and it moves freely up and down when you press on it

hi, thanks for the reply. i did exactly that this morning and the pin was up. i pushed it down and up a few times and seems ok.

Sponsored Links
so what happens is this. 2 of the 3 rads heating up ok.this particular rad wasnt heating up. just a tiny bit warm. i took the trv off first and the pin was up. pushed it up and down a few times but still no luck.

put the trv back on and turned it all the down down to close and then opened the trv fully again, bingo! for the past week that whats been happening.

first day i noticed it, i thought the lock shield wasnt properly opened so i closed and opened it fully then the rad started to work fine.

Next morning same problem so i closed the TRV side and opened it again and then it worked fine and this has been the scenario since. very strange.

many thanks

Sounds like the TRV is sticking. Leave the actuator head off completely ,so pin stays up ,and see what it's like tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back