Central heating shock arrestor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For quite a while now I have had issues with water hammer when the central heating pump turns off. This is on a pressurised system with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i boiler. I have seen that you can buy shock arrestors for water hammer but they all look to be for cold water supply and not central heating. My boiler has an expansion tank so should this provide the same function as a shock arrestor?

Sponsored Links
For quite a while now I have had issues with water hammer when the central heating pump turns off.
I don't know what setup your system is but with or S plan system we always used to get a loud bang when ever the water or heating shut off. I eventually traced it to the automatic bypass valve - must have been sticking slightly. I wasn’t too concerned but after some work on the system I refilled it with fresh inhibitor and it stopped! I can only assume the inhibitor had some kind of lubricating property.

Check any zone valves you have are installed in the correct direction, if wrong way round they will still work but some clunk when closing

I don't know what setup your system is but with or S plan system we always used to get a loud bang when ever the water or heating shut off. I eventually traced it to the automatic bypass valve - must have been sticking slightly. I wasn’t too concerned but after some work on the system I refilled it with fresh inhibitor and it stopped! I can only assume the inhibitor had some kind of lubricating property.
It is an S plan system with an ABV. I wonder if the ABV needs adjusting, when the ABV activates the boiler rattles!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just checked the setting on the ABV, it’s set to 2.75. I have tried to check if this is the correct setting but I don’t know the speed setting for the boiler pump or what the boilers minimum flow rate is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back