Central heating shuts off once watertank is up to temperatue

Are there three wires connected to the HW thermostat (Not including a genuine earth wire, i.e connected to an earth terminal)?

Sponsored Links
Its very unfortunate and a little dangerous that 95% of heating installers use twin and earth cable to the HW stat.

The green/yell wire is then used as one of the three signal wires from the stat. It then confuses many afterwards because they assume that its an earth wire !

I would have no problem with that if only they would hide the green/yell colour with a suitable colour of insulation tape so that it no longer looks like an earth wire!

Tony

Tony should have a problem with that because it is wrong. All three conductors on a correctly wired cylinder thermostat can be live, and the earth continuity conductor should not be used as one of them, even with green/yellow sleeving.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I agree that its wrong! But its what 99% of installers do.

Its also potentially dangerous if left marked to look like an earth wire!

I have had to come to accept that most installers do this bodge with three core cable. Coming from BBC Engineering where we did everything properly, that was a shock!

But at least it would not be potentially dangerous if seperately coloured at each end.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back