Central heating slow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya was hoping someone may be able to help with a central heating problem.
We have a fairly new sealed system. Last year when we put the heating on within a few minutes the radiators would be heating up and it wouldn't be long before we had reached the temperature we had set on our Honeywell thermostat. This year it's taking so much longer for the radiators to even start warming up nevermind reach temperature. The only difference is that we have had a Hive fitted and when it was the electrican noticed the the pump we had was constantly on. We have a Grundfos Alpha 2L and all the lights on both sides were lit up. The Hive is running ok and he set the pump up to PP2. It's since then we have had the slow system. I've tried to read the manual but don't understand the technical stuff. We've just had the boiler serviced and the plumber said to just wack it up to III and if that didn't work just keep working through the settings. Could someone please help or at least explain what the difference is between constant-pressure curve, proportional-pressure curve and constant speed? The plubmer said because it's a sealed system it would be okay to play around with the pump but I'd like to have some idea of what i'm doing. I've included a link to the manual
file:///C:/Users/ophel/AppData/Local/Temp/Grundfosliterature-5235364.pdf

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi was just wondering if no one is able to help with the specfic problem would someone be able to tell me what the difference is between the 2 settings (I,II,III & the arrows that go up to 4)

We've just had the boiler serviced and the plumber said to just wack it up to III and if that didn't work just keep working through the settings.

Did you try this? If this works, you can then try II or even I, and see which works best for you.

Was the pump working previous to the Hive install, and if so, which setting was it on? The hive will make no difference to the performance of the pump, so the setting must have been changed if it was fine before.

The PP settings are more complicated and may or may not be suitable depending on if you have an automatic bypass valve.

Hiya thanks for getting back. I've not tried the different settings as I wanted to try and understand what I was doing first. Would the I,II,III setting use more electricity and oil?
The pump was working before the Hivee was installed but it seemed to be on constantly with all the lights lit up. I've no idea how. I assume when the electricanset up the Hive he moved a wire to the pump

The pump should come on with your boiler and will most likely also run for a short period of time once the boiler stops firing.

The I, II, III settings increase the pumps power (and therefore electricity usage), and depending on the size of your system and the layout, you may need the highest setting or the lowest. In the absence of a design and calculations, it's easier to just try each setting until you find one which works.

Thank you. Could you tell me what the the other settings are? The manual recommends level 2 or 1, but it seems with at least 2 anyway it take a while to get going.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back