Central heating system problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a Potterton Suprima boiler (yes, yes, i know) with the somewhat popular lockout problem. I have changed the PCB to no avail which leads me to think it's something else. I've been trying to sort this problem out for about 3 months now and require some expertise! What i don't want to do is 'get someone in' who will replace every part in succession costing loads of money and no problem solved! As soon as i know what the problem might be, i wont have a problem with getting someone in to replace whatever it is. Let me tell you the story.

The system is a sealed pressurised S-plan system so has the 2 valves. It may be coincidence but this problem has come about since i had a TRV fitted to a radiator in the bathroom, while the system was drained down for a valve change. If i turn off said radiator, i get less lockouts which is weird. This radiator is NOT on the bypass. I have normal radiator valves downstairs, and all TRVs upstairs, most of which are missing their cap and only have a pin sticking out. I don't know how far they should stick out to be fully open. The pump is very hot I can't touch it so that may be first thing to change. However, all radiators seem to be hot (bar one, actually but i think thats down to a faulty, loose trv) so im thinking it might not be that. If i turn boiler thermostat right down there is no problem with boiler lockouts, so i think theres an issue somewhere with heat dissapation (circulation). This would be fine but the rooms just never seem to reach temperature and theres a constant call for heat. My system pressure was very low (0.5bar hot) so i thought maybe the guy didn't fill it enough. I've since filled it back to 1.2 bar cold, still lockout problem.

The bypass consists of a 1m length of pipe between boiler flow and return with a gate valve. My bypass gate valve was open 1/2 turn with lockouts. I've recently turned it open (half way, 3 turns out of 6) and i have had no lockouts even with the boiler thermostat on full. problem solved. except the rooms still don't get to temperature and there is still a constant call for heat. also im guessing this is going to cost a let more gas money in unused heat. should i keep turning the bypass gate valve closed until there is enough bypass water for heat dissapation but not too much as so not enough hot water goes around the rads?

There is a gate valve on the cylinder return to boiler. This is fully open. Is this normal? Is hot water from the boiler going through the coil too quickly hence losing more heat to rads? Do i need to trial and error this with the bypass valve to get the balance?

One more consideration - i have microbore 8mm pipes. yay.

Thank you for any help you can give i really appreciate it.

Dale

Sponsored Links
1 --- close gate valve through hot water circuit and open 2-3 turns
2 --- increase pump speed to highest setting
3 --- ? faulty thermistor (boiler stat), my need heat sink

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back