Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Boiler is in the loft so I have at least 15 metres of pipework to my first radiator. How Boiler used to be in the Fireplace nearer the first radiator but now it's in the loft so they ran the pipework across the loft down the integral Garage wall under the floorboards and connected to the original pipework. My question is would it be possible to do away with that and connect to pipework (radiator) nearer to the boiler? Now gas is so expensive it seems like a lot of waste heating pipes that only carry water but don't heat any part of the Bungalow.

Sponsored Links
My Boiler is in the loft so I have at least 15 metres of pipework to my first radiator. How Boiler used to be in the Fireplace nearer the first radiator but now it's in the loft so they ran the pipework across the loft down the integral Garage wall under the floorboards and connected to the original pipework. My question is would it be possible to do away with that and connect to pipework (radiator) nearer to the boiler? Now gas is so expensive it seems like a lot of waste heating pipes that only carry water but don't heat any part of the Bungalow.
The flow and return pipes should be insulated so heat loss will be minimal if anything.

My question is would it be possible to do away with that and connect to pipework (radiator) nearer to the boiler?

That very much depends on pipe sizes and which/where are the main pipe runs. Adding insulation will help, if none is fitted.

22mm dropping to 15mm just before first radiator everything after is 15mm. They have insulated the new pipework (22mm) very well so like you said minimal heat loss probably not worth all the trouble changing the run. Thank you for the replies

Sponsored Links
If you want to reduce the heating bills, the programmable TRV heads is likely the best option. I can select when and to what temperature rooms are heated. I have done it on the cheap, with 5 x eQ-3, 3 x Energenie, and one Kasa (TP-Link) TRV heads. Better of course if connected to the main thermostat, but it does reduce cost when each room is only heated when required.

My system is far from perfect, my boiler is oil, so on/off it does not modulate, and my hall cools too slowly when the main thermostat is, but if I look at the Kasa report for today 1709056711453.jpeg it is doing a reasonable job at keeping my living room to temperature set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back