Best way to trace pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - I am currently getting some work done in my loft and would like to add an additional radiator into the loft area. I've just recently replaced my central heating system to a condensing boiler and want to know tha best way to trace the pipework for the new radiator to connect to.

Am I going to have to lift carpets / floorboards? Any help or guidance appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Am I going to have to lift carpets / floorboards?

Err yes.

Find the flow and return which should be 22mm nearest to where you want to put your new rad.

Make sure you get the right 2 pipes. Best way would be to put the heating on and check they are hot. :D

I've just recently replaced my central heating system to a condensing boiler

Replaced the complete system or just the boiler??

What type of boiler is it? Combi or conventional with a separate HW cylinder? If conventional, is the pump etc upstairs in the airing cupboard with the 3-port valve and HW cylinder?

If so, you may be able to tap into the heating flow and return here and run the pipes up into the loft from the airing cupboard.

Hi there - Thanks for the replies. New boiler is a Combi one. Pipework was left as is. Was installed by British Gas (or their contractor so dont really know the model off by heart...)

Oh well - Looks like it is going to be floor boards up ...the joys. Was just hoping there may have been a simpler way to initially "trace" the pipework so I can then extend it acccordingly.

Anything I should watch out for before I tackle this....?????

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back