Central Heating timer??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i've got a Landis and Gyr very old timer which is a bit dodgy so i'm looking to replace it. Any ideas on what type of timer to buy. It has manual on off, once, twice settings for both heating and h/w but the actual timer thing that turns round is broken.

Also when the central heating is on we don't seem to be able to get hot water out of the taps even though the radiators are boiling.... any suggestions gratefully recieved, my first time on here. :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
It has manual on off, once, twice settings for both heating and h/w
this sugests a heat only boiler
Also when the central heating is on we don't seem to be able to get hot water out of the taps
this sugests a combi.

what boiler/system do you have

have vry old baxi back boiler
Definitely not a combi! Could be a gravity HW/pumped CH system.

We need more info about your system.

Do you have a Room Thermostat?
Do you have a Motorized Valve? Similar to one of these:

View media item 5945 View media item 5946
Do you have a pump? Similar to this:

View media item 802
Do you have a thermostat on the side of your Hot Water cylinder? Usually about 30-40cm up and held in place by a strap round the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
I don't have any room thermostats, or a thermostat on the tank (though I think I should get one) but I've just put in a new grunfel pump. Also I'm a bit concerned about my new hot water tank in the attic. The plumber replaced it thinking it was for the cold water and now I'm a bit worried it might melt or something :oops:

It's definitely gravity fed H/W and pumped heating. And it's an old back boiler, definitely not a combi

I don't have any room thermostats, or a thermostat on the tank (though I think I should get one)
You need both; but you will also need a motorized valve.

You have two options: convert to a fully pumped system, or retain the gravity hot water but add components so the hot water temperature time and temperature can be controlled. The fully pumped solution will be more expensive but more efficient in the long run.

Also I'm a bit concerned about my new hot water tank in the attic. The plumber replaced it thinking it was for the cold water and now I'm a bit worried it might melt or something :oops:
There will be two tanks in the attic - a large one and a small one. The small one contains the water for topping up the central heating system. The large one contains cold water which feeds the taps in the bathroom and the toilets; it also keeps the hot water cylinder full as hot water is drawn off. The tanks will not get hot, unless there is a fault in the system, so no need to worry.

PS This is not answering your original question about a new timer, but it needs to be done to deal with the lack of hot water when rads are on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back