Central Heating Tripping Electric

sorry to have given you false info.... it seems it was the ideal response that had the problem of tripping the rcd. I talked to a friend of mine, and he says its either the pump or the fan and is usually the fan. I would say it was definitely shorting out, so check the wiring to the fan and the air pressure switch, and see if that's all tight and no loose wires touching each other..

Sponsored Links
The op,s boiler has no permanent live, it only becomes live when the switched live is on, so how can it be the fan or aps when the op has switched the heating and hot water off and has switched the boiler off. :rolleyes:

Another update...!

I removed the wires from the fan, checked and cleaned the contacts and it's been fine ever since. I'm still sightly worried though! - will dirty/loose connections on the fan really cause the RCD to trip? Should I ask this on the electrics forum?

It seems that the boiler does have a permanent live after all. I followed the cable's path into the boiler and it goes straight to the PCB before out to a switch on the front panel.

Thanks to everyone for their replies - always impressed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back