central heating venting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help me ive got a vented old system and suffer from venting (heating the refill tank) the pump looks ok and is working, the hot water-central heating and hot water valve works ok. ive bled everything but when you put heating on even on hot water only it just bangs and vents to the refill tank and you can hear water falling back from the pump causing airation. is this likely to be a blocked, scaled up heat exchanger? any help would be gratefully appreciated. thanks. its a thorn apollo 15/30b boiler

Sponsored Links
How do you know the pump is working? You cannot tell, just because you can hear it.

The cold feed may be blocked also, but I have known the heat ex's to block on these. Easy to fix with the right chemicals, but you would need an RGI.

Mr. W.

Your system is probably full of crap due to lack of proper maintenance; very common with this type.

How do you know the pump is working? You cannot tell, just because you can hear it.

The cold feed may be blocked also, but I have known the heat ex's to block on these. Easy to fix with the right chemicals, but you would need an RGI.

Mr. W.
the pump is brand new. the cold feed seems fine so it looks like a blocked exchangr then?

Sponsored Links
or a blockage after the openvent..... maybe in the pipework somewhere

I Would try a powerflush ;)

I would agree, is it an old OV system if so when was it last flushed, you will have alot of crud in the system if it's old, if you go for a flush don't get BG to do it as they charge a fortune, also how do you know cold feed is ok, just because water falls down it ok it doesn't mean hot water will expand up it ok

got my boiler fixed it was the heat exchanger blocked. thanks to all for your advice. I,m changing to a combi boiler in august can anyone point me in the direction of a decent make and model. My house is a three bed semi with 7 radiators. Once again thanks to all

I,m changing to a combi boiler in august can anyone point me in the direction of a decent make and model.

As a householder only, I think Vaillant boilers are a good bet, others opinion will vary on this.

Much more important than the make of the boiler, is the quality of the installer. Having said that, I would not fit an Ideal.

I,m changing to a combi boiler in august can anyone point me in the direction of a decent make and model.

As a householder only, I think Vaillant boilers are a good bet, others opinion will vary on this.

What, a re-badged Glowworm? Awful piles of rubbish - look at alternatives.

Mr. W.

No idea what you're talking about, Vaillant are fantastic boilers as are WBosch, I would go with vaillant though and as already said make sure you get a decent installer, don't go for cheapest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back