Range Powermax 155x hot water but no central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I have just moved into a property that was a repossession so the water and central heating system had been drained.

The boiler is a gas powered range powermax 155x and the central heating is open vented.

I refilled the system and bled the air our of the radiators, I then switched on the boiler according to the manual. The indicators on the boiler showed that the boiler had ignited and the hot water and central heating were on but I only got hot water and all the radiators remained cold. I turned up the thermostat in the lounge which appeared to engage the pump for the central heating (I could hear a whirring sound from the boiler which i assume was the pump) and left this for about 20 minutes but still the radiators remained cold.

Is there anything i have missed in the refiling procedure or is there potentially a problem with the system/ boiler? any ideas would be helpful.

I have read something in another forum about blowing into the vent pipe in the expansion tank to make sure the boiler is filled properly but I don't know if that is applicable to this problem.

Many thanks in advance for your help

John

Sponsored Links
baxpoti said:
Air lock or faulty c/h pump

Thanks for the reply.

How woulld I get rid of an air lock?

If it is the central heating pump is there any test or check I can do to confirm that this is the problem?

cheers,

John

Check for 230v at the pump (left hand one is c/h). Check pump is spinning

Sponsored Links
After some further investigation, the central heating pump is spinning. You can feel the pipe leading from the tank to the pump is very hot but the pipe leading from below the pump to the radiators is cold. So the hot water is there its just not getting into the rest of the system

It also looks like there has been some previous water leakage from where the valve just below the pump is connected to the pipe (although its not leaking now). That pipe doesn't even appear to be connected properly as it is wobbly.

Is it possible that there is some sort of blockage in the pipe?
I'm thinking that I need to drain the system and remove the pump to see if there is a blockage?

Any advice would be welcome?

Thanks

John

If you're draining the system, replace the pump and valves!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back