Central heating water flow problem C Plan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler is cycling, but radiators not hot, I have wondered if due to thermo-syphon getting boiler too warm, but there are no stop cocks or any other control to turn off or down the DHW, looked both at boiler and cylinder, nothing.

The CH water is pumped with two pumps, and two motorised valves, so the flat and the main house can be independently controlled, in the main flat not used, so thermostat turned down.

I went down to the flat today to look for any DHW control, while down I turned up the flat thermostat, and there was a load of gurgling and radiators got warm in minutes, turned thermostat back down, and returned to main house, to find main house radiators now also warm, not sure if due to some air lock being cleared when I turned on flat, or some other reason.

Can't find any by pass valve, originally no motorised valve, just two pumps, seems installer thought you could select main house or flat by selecting pumps, but if you selected just one pump, both house and flat still got hot water, but in one it would circulate backwards.

House is micro bore 10 mm, flat is 15 mm pipes, not found a manifold. I have tried to balance but closing lock shield valves seems to just cause the boiler to cycle more. So most have been opened again.

So some where some how supply water is getting into the return without going through a radiator, but how do I find out where? Easy with electrics, I use clamp on meter to measure current flow, but with water, can't work out what is wrong, any ideas please.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back