Central Heating Zone Wont Come On

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone could give me direction on a fault with my boiler setup.

System is as follows:

Boiler Gloworm 50FF Micron (Spit) :rolleyes: with Programmer built in
Indirect Hot Water Tank
x 1 Pump.
x 2 Honeywell (silver top) 2 port zone valves.
Digital room stat ( wired to boiler, battery powered)
Cyclinder Stat (Drayton replaced 7 months ago)

So I though I would fire up the CH this evening to check it works after being off for the summer and nothing happens, no boiler firing no pump firing, on closer insepction the CH zone valve does come on (can feel the hum and the manual lever slides across).

I have basic knowlegde of the components and what they all do so I started testing the boiler in different situations and this is what I found:

CH set to ON with room stat calling ( room stat clicks when set higher than room temp which suggests it is working as normal)
* Boiler doesnt fire
* Pump doesnt start up
* Zone valve comes on

HW set to on, cyclinder stat calling
*Boiler fires up
*Pump Starts
* HW zone valve only comes on
* System appears to work as expected as it has done all summer

HW zone operational and heating, then turning CH to on and calling for heat.
* Boiler stays on
*Pump Stays on
* HW & CH zone valve are open
* Rads warm as normal

HW zone turned off at programmer whilst both HW and CH zones are active (heres where it gets interesting)
* Boiler stays on (heating)
*Pump stays on
* HW & CH zone valves are open
* Rads and HW continue to be heated

I am inclined to check the CH zone out as the possible fault, but from the information above can anyone suggest anymore tests or what they think is wrong?

Sponsored Links
Morning Gunny,

It sounds like a wiring problem.

If you put an email in your profile I'll send a very clear diagram of how it should be.

Sorry about last night but i romanced the beer a bit too much :oops:

Sponsored Links
wiring fault or more likely the microswitch in the CH valve is kaput, easily tested if you are competent with electrics

Matt

sounds to me as though the hw on from prog has been connected to the grey wires, instead of a permanant live, but you'd need to check - don't tkae my word for it ( I have been wrong before) ;)

Check that the end switch on the CH valve is wired correctly, working and calling for heat. The DHW end switch is calling the pump and boiler on when both are calling.

Thanks Guys, the problem was a sticky power head, the lever wasnt reaching the micro switch... all sorted now.

sounds to me as though the hw on from prog has been connected to the grey wires,

if so then where is the live coming from to open the zone valve ?
should have said grey and brown.

Gunny said:
HW zone turned off at programmer whilst both HW and CH zones are active (heres where it gets interesting)
* Boiler stays on (heating)
*Pump stays on
* HW & CH zone valves are open
* Rads and HW continue to be heated
If this is correct, which valve was sticking, and how did it cause this problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back