central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am planning to buy a new 4 bedroom detached house built in 1960(approx 225sqm).

Today I have received home buyer report. It states that - 'the central heating needs urgent attention. there is floor mounted Ideal Standard gas fired conventional boiler with radiators. complete replacement of boiler and heating system is recommended due inefficiency of boiler itself and large bore pipes and concertina type radiators'.

My query-
1- approx cost of replacing all?
2- Is it possible to only replace the boiler to a closed vented condensing one? But will then the pipes and radiator be able to withstand the pressure?

on internet there are conflicting information....read about Magnaclean, fermox cleanser........ so now I am more confused

Thanking in anticipation :?:

Sponsored Links
Large bore, concertina type... sounds like finned skirting heaters. You either lovem or hatem.

You'll probably want a good hot water system too.
You could easily spend £10k all in, especially if there are concrete floors and other obstacles.

Supply pipe from the road may be due for replacement too if not done yet, it's likely to be iron.
If you have suspended fround floors, the pipeds under them will not be properly insulated and lose you a LOT of heat.

10k as a percentage of a 4 bed det in Surrey would be quite small, for its importance.

This is really a scare tactic.

Probably a third of the houses in the area have that same system.

Yes, its outdated and less efficient but its not an immediate problem.

Tony

Sponsored Links
This is really a scare tactic.
Seconded.

Yes, its outdated and less efficient but its not an immediate problem.
The savings in fuel cost will never cover the cost of a new boiler, let alone a complete new installation. The first thing you should do is improve the insulation - loft, cavity wall and double glazing. There are plenty of cheap or free deals going for loft and cavity wall insulation.

See Energy Savings Trust Grant Search.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back