central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to the great success of my last post I have another problem is there anyone who can suggest a solution. since we have had our loft conversion earlier in the year we have not needed any heating on but in the last two weeks it has turned colder, the room stat is set for 20 which is great for down stairs (the thermostat is in the hall downstairs) but as it doesn't drop below 20 very often the so radiators don't come on very much.
Upstairs is about 5 degrees lower so when we get up in the morning to have a shower its cold in the bathroom up stairs, would it be better if the thermostat was disconnected and let the radiator temperature be ruled by the boiler or would this cost more money to run the heating. or is there another solution?

Sponsored Links
do you have thermostatic radiator valves?

Turn the trvs down downstairs and or turn the stat up. Dont disconnect the roomstat unless you want to remorgage for the gas bill :)

Sponsored Links
the radiator in the hall is not under the room stat but it is the one with no thermostat on, so the hall is warm and in the middle of the bungalow.
We do turn the room stat up before going to bed and the boiler is on a timer to go off at 9:30pm and to come back on at 6:30am we are getting around the problem just wondered if there was a better way to do it.

annekent said:
the radiator in the hall is not under the room stat but it is the one with no thermostat on, so the hall is warm and in the middle of the bungalow.
We do turn the room stat up before going to bed and the boiler is on a timer to go off at 9:30pm and to come back on at 6:30am we are getting around the problem just wondered if there was a better way to do it.

What's all the talk about upstairs and bungalows?
BTW I had a similar problem - cold upstairs, warm downstairs, thermostat downstairs. Fitted TRVs to all the radiators last weekend, set the ones downstairs at "2", the ones upstairs at "4" and hey presto! house is warm throughout. OK so sometimes heating is keeping upstairs warm while we are downstairs, but so what?

By setting the main thermostat higher and letting the down stairs temperature be controlled by the thermostatic valves on each radiator, you would allow the upstairs a chance to heat up, the boiler has a high temperature cut out, which means if all areas are up to temperature and the return water is virtually as hot as when is goes out the boiler will switch off anyway. The other thing that you could do is put in a timed motorised port valve on the down stair radiators so in the mornings these are isolated and do not warm up, so just the upstairs radiator run. Don't forget one radiator must have a set of manual valves to act as a bypass I fitted these chrome manual radiator valves on one upstairs radiator for this. This is the set-up I have and it seems to work well. Just an idea.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back