Zonal heating question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently moved into a my first home which is a new build, after a few weeks of living in the house we noticed something slightly odd with our heating. We noticed that even after a few hours our bedroom wasn't heating up, we had a look around, couldn't find any drafts or obvious reasons why it wouldn't be hearing up, I bleed all the radiators to make sure they were working as efficiently as possible. The bedroom covers the whole of the 3rd floor with and open stair case going down to the 2nd floor lading, there is a window on the stairs down and below that a radiator, then a door to the landing. After checking everything in the room I checked the radiator next to the window on the stairs and noticed that the radiator wasn't on when the upstairs heating was on.

The house has 3 floors, the first floor has its own thermostat. Then floor 2 and 3 have there own thermostat located on the top floor (our bedroom).

After turning the downstairs heating on we discovered that this radiator is controlled by the downstairs thermostat. I assumed that this should be controlled by the upstairs thermostat as its in the upstairs zone.

Up until this point the whole process of moving in and getting our snagging list sorted has been really smooth, the builders have been honest with us when they have made a mistake, and I have no reason not to trust there word. After speaking to them about the issue they have told me that this is the way it is supposed to be, as it is on the heating plans for the house for it to be laid out in this way. And as the radiator is classed as being in a hall way it is controlled by the downstairs thermostat.

We have asked our neighbours if they have had the issue but they haven't as of yet got back to us to let us know.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal practice for this to happen? I just wanted to get a second opinion on if this was normal for a new build zonal heating system.

Thank you
Richard

Sponsored Links
I can see some logic in what has been done.

The hall and the two landings are effectively one space. Instead of putting one very large radiator in the hall and expecting it to heat the whole space, they have put three smaller rads, one each for the hall and two landings If the rads on the landings are controlled by the upstairs thermostat there could be times when they were off. The small hall rad would then be left to heat up the whole space, which might prove rather difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back