Dual zone heating not working out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have dual zone heating in our new Martin Grant 3 storey house. Downstairs is fine but zone 2 on floor 2 and 3 is not working out for us. The thermostat is in the master bedroom where there is no thermostat valve on the radiator. At night especially we prefer this to be the cooler room. All the rooms heat up at different rates and I can't get one of the top floor rooms warm at all before the rest of the house is up to temp.

What are my options please?

Maybe put the thermostat elsewhere (I think it's battery operated wireless) on the first landing away from the top of the stairs and swap the fixed radiator valve in the master with the thermostatic one on the first landing?

Maybe put a thermostat on the master bedroom radiator and turn up the temp on the thermostat on the wall so it's on a lot more?

As for the forever cold room - perhaps a bigger radiator is an idea?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Sponsored Links
Is there not a representative from Martin Grant whom you can contact for advice?

If the controls have been properly considered during the design and build (which is questionable) then it’s a matter of you trying different things, such as stat positions, timings and TRV settings throughout the property, also possibly some balancing of rads, to reach your “unique” comfort preferences.

If unable to achieve this, and there is no help from MG, then it would be best to call in a Heating Engineer to advise you.

You can do some heat loss and rad sizing calcs yourself using various online calculators to see if the rads are up to the task.

Is there not a representative from Martin Grant whom you can contact for advice?
There is a foreman but his advice on this issue isn't realistic.

If the controls have been properly considered during the design and build (which is questionable)
There is a great deal of questionable design about this house - a prime example would be the siting of airbricks below thresholds which the foreman assures me have been blocked because of building regulations.

....then it would be best to call in a Heating Engineer to advise you.
I will if I can't get anywhere but its always best to be as well informed as you can be....my trust level in even recommended professionals isn't great

The rad isn't up to the task - that's pretty easy to calculate from the fact I get cold hands in there :)

If the radiator in the cold room gets hot (all of it from top to bottom) reasonably quickly and the room is still not warming up as you'd like you need a 'bigger' radiator.

Sponsored Links
If the radiator in the cold room gets hot (all of it from top to bottom) reasonably quickly and the room is still not warming up as you'd like you need a 'bigger' radiator.
Yes....will figure out what's there now and get 50% bigger I think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back