Some radiators come on downstairs then upstairs zone turns on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have recently moved into a new house. The heating is set up on 2 zones. One controlled by a nest thermostat upstairs in the master bedroom and another by a nest thermostat downstairs in the living room. Recently I noticed it seems to be set up a little strange. I'm sure it's probably always been like that and I've only just noticed.

When the heat is turned up on the downstairs thermostat only the 2 living room radiators warm up. When the heat is turned up on the upstairs zone all upstairs radiators warm up but so do all the downstairs ones except for the 2 living room ones.

So it looks like the the zones are set up as follows downstairs thermostat- living room only.
Upstairs Thermostat - all other radiators.

Is this normal? This is the first time I've lived in s house with zoned heating. To me it would surely make sense if the downstairs thermostat controlled all heating downstairs and the upstairs did the same for upstairs?

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Without being able to see the pipe work it’s impossible to be certain ,but seem to be as you described

It would be more usual to have the two zones configured as living rooms and bedrooms. The idea being that the bedrooms can be left unheated during the day when they are not in use whilst the living rooms are still heated. However, I've seen the same set up as yours a few times now, there was even a post on here earlier this month from someone else that had the same configuration as you describe.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back