Zone valves and thermostats crossed (I think)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister recently moved into a house that has a gas central heating and hot water storage system (not a combi boiler). The system has an upstairs room thermostat in the main bedroom and a downstairs thermostat in the hall. All the radiators have thermostatic rad valves except those in the main bedroom and hall.

The downstairs thermostat controls the upstairs radiators and the upstairs thermostat controls the downstairs radiator. As a long retired sparks with central heating experience this seems wrong but things do change and I've been out of the game for many years.

Am I correct in thinking the system has been connected incorrectly, namely the upstairs stat should control the upstairs rads and the downstairs stat should control the downstairs rads ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Am I correct in thinking the system has been connected incorrectly, namely the upstairs stat should control the upstairs rads and the downstairs stat should control the downstairs rads ?

Yes - correct!

Are the two zone valves located close together - just swap the wiring between the two.

Are the two zone valves located close together - just swap the wiring between the two.

I've only casually looked at the system so far and have only seen one zone valve which is close to the HW tank but don't yet know if its for the tank.

Hopefully once identified I can just swap the roomstats or zone valves switched lines over in the wiring centre once I've found it.

you have what is termed Splan+ find the wiring centre and Identify the two Brown wires going to upstairs and downstairs zone valves and swap them, there will be three zone valves as there will be one for the HW circuit also, no need to change any other wiring ,if you need more help post a pic of the wiring and other controls and we will help you out

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I'm aware of S Plan systems, i.e. whole house CH as one zone with HW as another zone, but have not come across the + option. Does the + part just mean that one zone, typically CH, is split into 2 or more zones?

Did a Google search for Splan+ (and all variations of the spelling) but couldn't find any info.

I found one straight away https://myboiler.com/s-plan/, but an s plan + is simply an s plan with added zones. If the motorised valves are in close proximity and actuators are demountable I’d just swap them over.
Thanks for the link.

Strangely, after seeing you reply I found the same link by Googling for 'upstairs and downstairs thermostats on an splan system'

• Thanks
Turns out the upstairs stat controls the main bedroom, its ensuite and other bedroom radiators, whilst the downstairs stat controls the landing, bathroom (upstairs), hallway and all downstairs radiators. All the rads have thermostatic valve heads except the hall and main bedroom.

Is this configuration acceptable or bad idea?

I've found another zone valve issue but I'll start a new topic for that.

Sounds odd to me. I would want all upstairs radiators in one zone and all downstairs radiators in a separate zone.

I do have all flat radiators in one major zone, and all main house radiators in the other major zone, but within the main house the TRV's form 8 sub zones.

Upper floor two bedrooms, a craft room and an office, middle floor kitchen, dinning room and living room, the dinning room hardly used so set to 12 degs, but to split upper and lower within the main house would simply not work, craft room often used during the day.

I know in my last house the children often went to bedrooms to do homework, so splitting a house upper and lower when TRV's are installed seems daft.

However I am sure there are some households where everyone does do the same thing together, but most don't.

Personally I would link both zone valves together, and use the TRV's to form zones.

Honeywell do a wireing guide you can download to your phone .
Look for Honeywell wireing guide every possible wireing guide on it plus a useful troubleshooting guide.

Turns out the upstairs stat controls the main bedroom, its ensuite and other bedroom radiators, whilst the downstairs stat controls the landing, bathroom (upstairs), hallway and all downstairs radiators. All the rads have thermostatic valve heads except the hall and main bedroom.

The idea of the two heating zones was introduced, I think, in around 2010 as part of the building regulations (Part L) as a bid to save energy. The concept is that rooms that are in regular use when the property is occupied are on one zone, and the second zone is for bedrooms that are only generally used at certain times of the day, so don't need to be heated for as long. Sounds from your description that's pretty much what you have.

That sounds sensible....

Set your downstairs zone to be on when you will be occupying the downstairs, then set it to go off when you retire. Set the bedroom zone to come on an hour before you retire, then on until you are in bed, or maybe all night if you reduce the stat setting.

For zones to work properly, you will need to close doors.

The idea of the two heating zones was introduced, I think, in around 2010 as part of the building regulations (Part L) as a bid to save energy. The concept is that rooms that are in regular use when the property is occupied are on one zone, and the second zone is for bedrooms that are only generally used at certain times of the day, so don't need to be heated for as long. Sounds from your description that's pretty much what you have.
The only problem was that the downstairs stat controlled the upstairs circuit and visa-versa. That has now been changed as part of other work , see thread https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/wrong-zone-valve-actuator-head.618949/

Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back