Central heatinh won't come on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've changed the room thermostat but the central heating refuses to come on.
There is power to the thermostat but it refuses to click (it has an electronic relay)....the hot water works fine ,the pump is working but I can't get the boiler to respond to the room thermostat so the radiators remain cold .I've checked all of the fuses that I can find on the system, I've over ridden the divertor valve in case the synchro motor wasn't working but still no joy .

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
is the problem it now will not work since you changed the stat ?.or did you think the stat was faulty

Was the central heating working before you changed the stat and what stat have you put in place of the old one ?

An electronic room 'stat needs a neutral supply as well as a live, unless it is battery powered. A mechanical room 'stat should have a neutral too, for the best control, but that's another story!

Sponsored Links
Thnanks to all of you for replying .

The central heating seeme to be erractic when it would come on and sometimes only the radiators upstairs seemed to get really hot ...it would take forever for downstairs to get hot .Because they were erratic I thought I would try changingthe thermostat .This thermostat uses three wires ...a klive feed , the live from the thermostat to the boiler ( I presume) and a neutral .I have wired this up . At first the thermostat appeared to click , as if it was being powered , but the boiler stil refused to react . The thermostat then went dead , no click so I thought I would check whether the livefeed was still liveand it is .

I don't know whether there is something in the boiler , which is a Stelrad Ideal , which is not working or whether the clock/timer is faulty , although on that score it seems to work perfectly well on the hot water.

I did think about wheher you could connect the live feed and he red wire (live) that runs bckto the boiler together ....should this cause the boilrer to kick in as if the themostat was calling . My reasoning is that if it still failed to kick in , the thermostat must be okay and its something else.

But what?

Your help is appreciated

the thermostat wouldent cause the rads to work erraticly, so now you have 2 faults, either put your old stat back on as it was or post what the new stat and old stat are and we,ll work out how to wire them,

the rads could just need balancing, look in the faq,s on how to do this.

I've now wired in a new timer ,stat and synchro motor but whilst the timer appears to be working and the stat is powered and clicking , the boiler refuses to answer the call for power from the central heating .

Hot water is fine and working well.

There are two wires for the synchro motor , should I switch them around to see if this makes a difference . The lever was in the automatic position as I fitted the new motor .I can't think of anything else to do on this system now .

Has anyone got any ideas/suggestings?

Swapping the synchron motor wires will do nothing.Is this a 3 port valve or do you have 2 x 2 port zone valves.Can see no mention of sytem type.

Thanks for the reply.

The boiler is a Stelrad Ideal W , the clock a Drayton Ls522 with a drayton room thermostat.

The Stat only clicks or is powered when the clock switches on for the central heating - is that correct ?

I have changed everything I can and wired it as per the manufacturers instructions .

And it is a 3 port valve (T shaped) with a motor on the top .

I can't nderstand why the boiler is not responding to the call for heat .

Thanks for your help

Ian

Thanks for the reply.

The boiler is a Stelrad Ideal W , the clock a Drayton Ls522 with a drayton room thermostat.

The Stat only clicks or is powered when the clock switches on for the central heating - is that correct ?

I have changed everything I can and wired it as per the manufacturers instructions .

And it is a 3 port valve (T shaped) with a motor on the top .

I can't nderstand why the boiler is not responding to the call for heat .

Thanks for your help

Ian

the money you have spent on parts that arnt needed you could of had a pro in to sort it while you sit on your arse

There's more to a 3port valve besides the motor. There's two micro switches which involve four sets of contacts.
First thing to establish is: Does the valve move to the CH position when CH is on and HW is off.
If it does and the boiler does not light, then one of the micro switches is faulty.
If it does not move to CH only, there are a few things that could be wrong.
It sounds as though it's moving to the mid position and you may get some heating at the same time as Hot water, but this will only be until Hot water is satisfied and then the valve moves to CH and boiler lights by means of a micro switch.
Two things you can try with both HW and CH on and the HW is satisfied.
You can run off some HW which will create a demand, this will allow valve to drop back to mid position if not already there. Because HW is in demand the boiler will light, but not through the valve. The power is supplied through the cylinder stat. Of course as soon as HW is satisfied you'll be back to square 1
Or instead of running off HW you can increase the cylinder stat which will have the same effect.
So back to the question does the valve move to the CH only position or not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back