Centurion tiles on 13 degrees roof with Veluxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We had our roof retiled with Centurion tiles and only the Veluxes were lifted to 15 degrees. The roofers had to make their own lead work around them and now there is ingress of water between tiles and top of the windows. There are small bumps on each top side of the Veluxes which prevents the water from draining freely. I tried to take a few photos. The roofer suggests that he cuts the brackets (not sure what that means) to create channels- is that right? Can anything else be done as Velux were very helpful that windows needs to be raised and now they cannot offer any solution!

Sponsored Links
It amazes me as to why people insist on having a Velux in an unsuitable pitch. Who designed the roof? Why was it not pitched steeper with say a flat top or window cut-outs etc?

I would just risk leaving the Velux in pitch with the roof and use their standard flashing. Can't be any worse than what you have already.

Oh and sack the architect.

An architect designed it, to be at 15 degrees. Builders didn't get the correct pitch as there is a window obstruction. We originally wanted flat roof. Anyway, the architect did the loft and we trusted him. This is where we are now as Velux insisted on having it raised. I start thinking we should have left it below 15...

Whilst the architect can bear some blame for maybe not doing the best of surveys or whatever the builders should have raised the alarm as soon as the first rafter went in, there's no excuse. The Velux 15° limit is no secret.

The by-the-book way to do it to fit the Velux flat roof adapters.

Sponsored Links
For this particular size there is no ready made flat roof Velux kit hence why they have to manufacture it on site. Velux advised to lift the window only and leave the rafters as they are. However, they now say it is in house decision how to make it waterproof and they don't have anything to suggest.

What should have been done- this time has already gone and we have to find a solution from here.

Thank you for the replies anyway.

Just tile over the skylights that will solve the problem then deduct £2000 from the bill.

An architect designed it, to be at 15 degrees. Builders didn't get the correct pitch as there is a window obstruction....
Was there not any discussion about having the correct pitch and creating a leaded box around the obstructing window?

Surely there must have been someone involved in the project who could have foreseen problems with such a low pitch especially as there were Velux windows being fitted?

...Or were the Velux an afterthought?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back