CERAMIC FLOOR TILES IN BATHROOM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am seeking professional advise regarding the laying of ceramic floor tiles in a first floor bathroom. The floor is chipboard type. I am concerned about a small amount of water which may fall onto the tiles and possibly get through the grout/adhesive etc. (Have 2 teenage daughters 3 showers a day each!!!)

Any help and advice about what to put onto the chipboard before would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Best advice I can offer is not to tile onto chipboard because it's not a stable substrate. You'll get people recommending 2 part adhesive so you can tile onto chipboard but it costs a fortune and personally, I won't use it.
Far better to replace the chipboard with 25mm WBP ply, or overboard the chipboard with 12mm WBP ply. Have a read of the sticky post on tiling basics.

Best advice I can offer is not to tile onto chipboard because it's not a stable substrate. You'll get people recommending 2 part adhesive so you can tile onto chipboard but it costs a fortune and personally, I won't use it.
Far better to replace the chipboard with 25mm WBP ply, or overboard the chipboard with 12mm WBP ply. Have a read of the sticky post on tiling basics.

Gcol thanks for your speedy reply. I think I will go with your recommendation and put the 12mm ply down first.
Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back