tiling bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to revamp my bathroom, and want to use ceramic floor tiles,

Problem I have is the floor is chip board covered with vinyl, which I've tried to remove but is firmly glued down onto the chipboard.
I was going to try and replace the chip board and lay plywood but that is too difficult as it goes under the partition walls.
So my options are :-

Can I lay tiles directly onto the vinyl?

Try and remove the vinyl and lay "no ply" boarding and then tiles.

Thanks for helping me out.

Sponsored Links
Can I lay tiles directly onto the vinyl?
It’s sometimes possible to tile over rigid vinyl tiles on a solid floor but to attempt it on a suspended rubbish, chip board floor will be doomed to failure in a very short time.

Try and remove the vinyl and lay "no ply" boarding and then tiles.
By far & away the best solution is to rip up the old chip board floor (its crap) & replace with a new 18-25mm WBP ply floor & tile that. Removing the chip can require some thought & a special saw but it’s hardly difficult; it’s done all the time. The thickness of the ply you need will depend on the floor joist size/pitch/span.

If you want to persevere with the existing floor, you need to get all the vinyl up, make sure the existing floor is securely fixed & overboard with either a decent tile backer board or minimum 12mm WBP ply; I would not use “no more ply”.

Only use quality trade tiling products of the correct type for your tiles; the DIY products are generally cheap crap.

Sponsored Links
[/quote]
By far & away the best solution is to rip up the old chip board floor (its crap) & replace with a new 18-25mm WBP ply floor & tile that.
Only use quality trade tiling products of the correct type for your tiles; the DIY products are generally cheap crap.[/quote]

100% correct way, otherwise you are inviting trouble really

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back