Ceramic hob fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother is having some work done in her kitchen including new floor and wall tiles and new worktops and new oven hob fitted. She has a "handyman" type guy who is doing all the work.

Went round to see how its going. All looks ok to be hounest. However I thought the hob wasn't fitted right. He has cut the hole for the main body of the hob to fit. Then he has stuck the foam bit on the worktop and the glass frame sits on top. As a result there is a good 5mm gap from worktop to glass all around it.

Surely the glass should be either sitting on the worktop neat or flush? Looking at it I thought he could possibly router out a rebate so that the outer edge of the hob could sit on that bringing the height down and making it sit a bit flusher??

It is also just sitting loose, so you can essentially lift it out. There was some brackets with it which he said he didnt know how to fit, and he had never seen them before.

I am unsure of what exact model, all i know is its a Hotpoint ceramic hob with no knobs, so its a touch type one.

Anyone any insight on what should be done etc?

Sponsored Links
The foam strip is probably the self-adhesive sealing strip supplied by the manufacturer and may in fact be a fireproof clay, depending on the hob. If the hob is properly clipped down and the clips tightened the gap should reduce considerably - and every hob I've ever fitted has them. Don't rebate for the sealing strip - that's not necessary and you will risk moisture getting into the shipboard core of the worktop from splashes and spills which will blow the top.

The clips fit into holes in the metal shielding on the underside of the hob and the hob needs to be lowered carefully into place - you will need to pull-out the oven or any drawers, etc which impede access. Once sitting on the worktop the clips are tightened with a hand screwdriver - they have a claw which bites into the underside of the worktop. There should be 4 or possibly even 6 of these clips. They will pull the hob down onto the worktop forming a waterproof seal with the "foam", but the hob will sit slightly proud of the top by the thickness of the glass/ceramic top sheet

Last edited by a moderator:
If your mums handy man has not seen them before he has never fitted a hob as they all have them [gas or electric].

Short video showing how it's fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back