Ceramic hob wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Hope someone might be able to help.

Bought a new ceramic hob to swap over, usually a straight forward process for 230v but the way the original hob is wired has thrown me or do I just double up the L N and E.
Img 4124 shows the current hob wiring, it is a 6 core flex occupying all terminals except a bridger between terminal 2 & 3.

At the other end of the hob cable both lives, neutrals and earths are crimped which run into a junction box.

Img 4126 shows the terminals for the new hob to which there are 5. I understand the hob can be wired in a number of ways 230v 400v 2 and 3 phase but I suppose its thrown me as the original wiring doesn’t align with the standard 230v wiring suggested using 3 core cable.

Photos shown of wiring options on the underside of the hob, any guidance appreciated is there option to use existing cable if so which terminals are to be used. 3, 4 and earth seem the obvious for 230v but having an existing 6 core flex leaves some not terminated?

Attachments

• IMG_4124.jpeg
    IMG_4124.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4126.jpeg
    IMG_4126.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4115.jpeg
    IMG_4115.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4116.jpeg
    IMG_4116.jpeg
    483.4 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Both Neutrals to 4
Both Earths to Earth

Is that jumper linking 2 to 3?
If so then I would put the two Lives(lines) into 1 and 3.

Yes jumper links 2 & 3, that makes sense, thank you.
Why would it need 3 terminals with lives, curious ?

How are the crimped wires connected to terminals in the JB? But most likely is:

BN and BK to Live terminal 3
(there are copper U links joining 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 on the new hob) so it matters not which of those 3 terminals you use for the two live wires as long as you leave the links in place. 1 and 3 would be good if the link makes it 'tight' for both to fit in one.

BU x 2 to Neutral terminal 4

G/Y x2 to Earth terminal

Sponsored Links
How are the crimped wires connected to terminals in the JB? But most likely is:

BN and BK to Live terminal 3
(there are copper U links joining 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 on the new hob) so it matters not which of those 3 terminals you use for the two live wires as long as you leave the links in place. 1 and 3 would be good if the link makes it 'tight' for both to fit in one.

BU x 2 to Neutral terminal 4

G/Y x2 to Earth terminal

Yes browns/ black together , blues and earths.

All understood and many thanks for your help, just didn’t want to use the wrong terminal and cause an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back