ceramic tile over OSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am building a timber frame home. have radiant heat installed in concrete basement. will have radiant heat under main floor which is 1"OSB subfloor. house is insulated with Sipco. basement is eco-foam block.

can i install ceramic tile over a layer of felt paper over the OSB? or should i use hardiboard or cement board? don't want the tiles to crack but don't think i want the radiant heat to go through another 1/4 to 1/2 layer with the layer on top of the OSB.

any ideas appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
The ideal way for underfloor heating is to embedd it in a screed floor. This proivides the thermal mass that makes underfloor heating work well. So rather than have the heating under the floor I would put it over the floor. A screed of about 50mm (I think that's about right) on top of the OSB should be adequate. You won't need insulation under the pipework either to keep the heat going into the floor above rather than the down through the ceiling.

Thanks Handy Jon.
so, your suggestion is to put the wire on top of the OSB, then the tubing, then the hardiboard or cementboard [1/4 or 1/2?] and then the ceramic tile?

Interesting. i will surely consider that option. am i understanding correctly?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back