Old Wooden Tiles / New Ceramic Tiles and a Concrete Floor...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The subject says much!

We want to lay 45cm square ceramic floor tiles in the kitchen in the next 2 days. At the moment there are wooden (parquet effect) tiles there already and I have prise one small piece off to see whats underneath. It appears that probably the adhesive is directly spread onto the concrete floor with the wood tiles on top.

Soo many questions...

Shouldnt there be some dampproof membrane on a concrete floor before laying the ceramic tiles?

How on earth can I remove the adhesive easily from the concrete floor? (Or maybe I can just put a fresh layer of adhesiove on top of the old?)

Should I lay a plywood layer and tile on that instead of removing old adhesive?

If so how to attach it to a concrete floor as nails/screws aint gonna work too well.

I presume tiling over the wooden floor is bad?

Any suggestions rapidly and gratefully received!!!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Well under the torrent of replies ;) let me update.

Wooden tiles are up leaving (thank god) a good flat base that is unfortunately covered in a thin layer of black tar-like adhesive. It peels up in places almost like thick paper but is not going to be easily moved.

My thoughts at this stage are wash it all down (in process now) and then seal it with a 3 parts water 1 part pva mix and then just tile on top. My only worry is wether the surface below will provide a good bonding surface for the pva and adhesive layers?

Anyone see any probs with this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back