Ceramic tiles on wood staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to lay ceramic tiles throughout the house - having taken on board the good information from the sticky! - but aren't sure whether to also tile the staircases. The stair treads are plywood (I guess the risers also) but I guess subject to more potential movement than the other floor surfaces. Would overboarding with 12mm ply on the stair treads be sufficient to lay ceramic tiles on? or should we really consider some other surface? Also, re skirting boards - is it best to tile up to existing skirting, or remove it and replace on top of the tiles?

Sponsored Links
Remove boards & relay, looks lots beter.
I tiled my hall way & thought about doing the stairs, but decided on carpet, tiles to risky, slipping, cracking etc is what I thought.

12mm WBP ply onto the treads will be fine to tile onto - use plenty of screws.
No need to overboard the risers.
Use a powdered flexible adhesive.

You've got to be crazy it would look awful.

Sponsored Links
Nah. After you drove the last decent contributor away they realised who the real forum problem is.

Yeah like that wasn't you. You have more issues than most folk could possibly understand. What an absolute farce this forum is.

i wouldnt reccomend it at all dude, even with over boarding youll still need to get a timberflex type adhesive and those arent cheap. normal flex wont be enough.

youd definatly need non slip tiles.

not usually something id say but stick to carpet.

I can’t see the point, it will look very “Spanish villa”; fine in Spain but, IMO, it will look out of place & bloody awful here.

Flexing of the staircase will also give you problems & it could be prove to be extremely dangerous if you use the wrong tiles.

You could of course replace all your stairs with cast in-situ concrete, then the tiles will have a firm base to rest on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back