Ceramic vs Porcelain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is the most asked question, but I have trawled the web and one thing is still not clear.

I do understand that all tiles are "ceramic", but should typically be categorised as "porcelain" and "Non-porcelain". But for arguments sake I'll use "ceramic" and "porcelain"

So it would seem "porcelain" is superior to "ceramic" in every application. The only benefits if ceramic is that generally is cheaper and easier to cut.

But that still doesn't explain under what circumstances you would ever use ceramic.

For example a wetroom in a shower area. Some have said you can use ceramic, but then if you want guaranteed waterproofing, surely you can only use porcelain.

Obviously it makes sense to use a cheaper product where perfect quality is not a requirement. So when wold you actually use a ceramic tile?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dont confuse better quality with adequate for the job.

For a wetroom\shower, whatever you use its not the tiles that provide the waterproofing. the area needs to be tanked, or backerboarded before tiling whatever you choose. so again, the material doesnt matter. The only time porcelain is a requirement is for external use as it is frostproof.

Both ceramic and porcelain are suitable for use, ceramics have a clay backing with a ceramic glaze, and bit like a dinner plate. the glaze carries the colour and the finish. if you ever wear through it (almost impossible) you will see the backing. Porcelain comes in 2 types. Glazed porcelain, which is just the same as i described except it has a porcelain backing behind the glaze, porcelain dust is fired under pressure to make them as the pressure makes them far more dense, and heavy and so are a little harder to cut or drill. The second type of porcelain is 'full bodied' this is a solid tile of porcelain, with no glaze, its finish is either polished or sealed. The colour and patter runs all the way through the tile.

Ceramic floor tiles were used for years, the correct grade if laid properly can be used in a garage and stand cars being parked on them, but you will find cheap ceramics and cheap porcelain.

Basically, find a design you like and dont scrimp too much on the budget. if you can't afford decent porcelain, your better off with good quality ceramics than cheap porcelain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back