help with porcelain floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We're planning to get a new kitchen. I was planning on doing the tiling myself as I've managed the bathroom previously (slow, but I'm a perfectionist so the result is good).

The kitchen floor is 9 sqm.

The tiles are Pietre Di Keope Basalto Black matt porcelain floor tiles.

I believe they are unglazed (i'm guessing from the matt look). Will they require sealing? It didn't mention anything about sealing in the shop.

I thought porcelain had low porosity so why would they need sealing when ceramic tiles don't?

They reason we selected porcelain tiles was we're told they are hard-wearing and that if we drop a pot, they're more likely to chip then crack and because of the matt finish the chip won't show up so much as on a shiny tile

Once I've pulled up the linoleum I believe the kitchen floor is concrete. I was planning to use BAL Single Part Flexible with BAL Microcolour Wide Joint Grout (Gunmetal colour, 4-5mm wide).

The direct-trades online site I previously used for adhesives seems to no longer stock BAL products and Topps are about £15 more for what I was paying for the SPF addy I used in the bathroom. Anyone recommend a reasonably priced stockist of the addy & grout?

Can you recommend a decent tile cutter for these tiles (30x30cm), I sold the one I had after finishing the bathroom.

One last question: Although we're going to pay to have the kitchen fitted, I was planning on removing the old kitchen and tiling the floor and painting the walls myself. Should I just tile the whole kitchen and the fitters can then fit the kitchen on top or should I leave the areas for the units untiled and then file in any gaps once they're fitted.

Cheers for the benefit of your collective wisdom :LOL:

Sponsored Links
i would use a sealer on them,even just to stop dirt ingress,and also helps to seal your grout as well...floors to tend to get dirty over time..

i have those same tiles in my porch..lovely choice i may add..

just make sure your prep is good and also your set out.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back