tiling sanity check required please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks

we are going to be tiling the bathroom over the next couple of weeks. I've done a lot of reading (inclduing sticky ;) ) and I just want to make sure I've not missed anything or got it wrong.

Floor - 25mm WBP ply - had to replace whole original T+G floor due to condition. cut and fixed in place.

300x300 porcelain tiles

flexible adhesive - seems most folk recommend a 2 part for a wooden floor so I'm going to go for BAL Fastflex
grout - BAL superflex wide joint ivory(light coloured tiles)

walls - plaster

600x300 porcelain tiles - same pattern as floor

tank around the shower area of bath using tanking kit. There seem to be lots of conflicting info on whether to prime the remainder of the room (outside of tanked area) - was planning on using BAL APD Primer

adhesive - BAL goldstar - is that the best one for the job?
grout - BAL superflex ivory

thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Did you support the edges of the ply flooring with noggins?
Absolutely no need for fastflex - it's way over the top and costs a fortune.
You need to use APD primer when using cement based adhesives onto plaster backgrounds.
For adhesive, just get Bal Rapidset flexible for the floor - goldstar is fine for the walls.

Thanks for the reply and the advice. Greatly appreciated.
Only have a single join down the length of the bathroom and have supported it underneath.

Thanks again for the reply :)

OH has arranged to get all of the required items from the tile supplier and has got a good deal on all of it. He also recommended BAL Rapidset flexible and agreed with the rest of my choices.

And we can return anything we dont need for a refund.

Thanks again for the advice :)

Sponsored Links
That wasn't my motivation, I was trying to get the correct supplies for the job. Brownie points are a bonus. Besides she's doing the actual tiling, i'm doing the donkey work......as usual :D

Her mother does tiling and has every toy (power tools etc) in the book. OH has done a little tiling with her mum before and wants to do our bathroom. Everyones a winner :)

Happy days - carry on my good man. Feel free to drink cans of stella and give advice to her while she's at it - it's your job!

So long as you don't shout and find fault, you should be able to get away with her assuming you have a small drink problem and a strange desire to see the mother in law naked. ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back