Another which Bal Adhesive to use question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start tiling our bathroom. The tiles are 150mm by 300mm honed and filled travertine, i've just replaced the floorboards with 25mm wbp ply (with noggins where the sheets join)n and the walls are plastered brick.

Having looked at the Bal website, there are a number of different adhesives i can use.

For the floor: Fastflex, Single part flexible, Rapidset Flexible or PTB flexible
For the walls: Rapidset flexible
Grout: Bal Microcolour Ivory Grout

Obviously, walls and grout are easy. But which floor adhesive to use? They all claim to be suitable for applying to a plywood floor. PTB flexible looks to be the cheapest.

Thanks in advance.

Any other comments or advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
I'd use the rapidset flexible,no need for pourable or thick bed on a plywood sheet.The fast flex is a higher spec adhesive but much more expensive and not as nice to use so if your ply is rigid go for the an spf.
Make sure you get white with travertine.
If your likely to be working slowly the standard setting SPF will give you more open time but with travertine will be more likely to stain as it remains 'wet' for longer.Either way you want to be aiming for 100% coverage of adhesive on the tile backs.

Not quite kev3. Single part flex and rapidset flex have exactly the same "open time". This relates to the duration you can effectively use the stuff to lay tiles. However, they have very different "working times" which relates to how long you've got to lift the tile if you cock it up before it sets fast.

If you say so but my experience tells me that the rapidset will set in the bucket in about 30 minutes the standard setting stuff stays soft for hours.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I bought the single part flexible for the floor and ended up getting Bis-extra single part flexible on the advice of the supplier who say they use it all the time for travertine. It was a fair bit cheaper than the bal rapidset flexible for the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back